• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gulp fry - stuff works

markkstanley

Picked some up and it was time to field test it. One rod with my ratso, one rod Gulp fry and one with Nuggies. Same jighead and same pink color for all three. Fished each for 10 minutes then switched. It was a tough bite for me last night so this was a fair test IMO. Gulp fry won - over half the fish were caught on the Gulp. Impressive. Only flaw I could see was the fry got soft and you had either shorten the bait or rethread a new one every so often. Oh and it still has that wonderful Gulp stench.

Gulp fry averaged about 4 fish per 10 minutes, Ratso was about 2 and the nuggie had a bad night -only one to go fishless in a ten minute period and it did it three times. I fished for about two hours. This spot has a lot of 6 to 8 inch crappies so I thought it was a good place to test. Usually get over 20 fish or more an hour so last night was relatively slow. The Gulp fry even caught two fish on a deadstick - just had to try it

I use other Gulp products so I know what typically happens as they get wet and breakdown. This stuff was falling to pieces faster than maggots for example - well the body was. The little tail held up just fine. On the plus side you can use the pieces just like GUlp maggots to tip other plastics.

is the 2" size the only size they have? that's all i could find..seems a little bit big but like the other post i suppose a guy could shorten it up..i've even found myself biting a #10 ratso in half and that's only bout an inch long

Originally Posted By: Corey Bechtold
When I have used Gulp! Fish Fry I typically bite off a bit of the head section so it isn't so large. This works great for shortening up the profile.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Corey, might I suggest cutting the head, just thinking of that taste makes me spit. lol

I did not try to thaw the Gulp fry in my mouth. Learned my lesson there. Corey must be fishing so much he's lost his sense of taste and smell when it comes to Gulp. Like being locked in a Biffy on a hot summer day - eventually you don't notice the aroma.