• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

need help with wife

hi i was talking with my wife and asked her what she did and didnt like about summer fishing together in the boat. she says that she doesnt like to troll says its boring. also she likes to throw crankbaits and spinner baits. i mostly fish for pike but im thinking about bass i got a lot of help on what tackle to use in the bass forum. do you ladies have any advice for me. we have no kids and spend alot of time together but i want her to enjoy fishing more help please

Ok, I am not a lady but can tell you what my wife likes.

She doesn't like to still fish...trolling is ok. If the action is slow trolling, she will quit once in awhile and read a book.

Casting and bass fishing she loves. Action all the time, even if it is just casting. To start her off, I bought her a tackle box and let her pick any lure she wanted from my tackle box. I gave her advice on what to pick.

Fishing together is great. Just don't get frustrated with snags, going in for bathroom breaks, etc. And, if the weather is poor...understand that she may not want to go. And, if the fish aren't biting...she may want to call it a day.

My husband and I always differ on how to fish. I like trolling walleyes he doesn't, I can still fish he gets bored. He wants to try everything in his tackle box and troll for northerns. Solution: he taught me how to run the boat and I take the boat and go fishing by myself a lot. He is jealous and I am happy.

Let's see....she doesn't like to troll, but she likes to throw crankbaits and spinners. My solutions:

Don't troll

get her lots of pretty crankbaits and spinners \:\)

a diamond necklace might help the cause too.

Hammer Handle~ I think you hit this one right on the nose.

teresa~ loved your comment!

I love fishing, but I'm not hardcore enough to sit through rain or the freezing cold. If I need a potty break, I'd prefer to go in.(Things just aren't as easy for women in that department)But, most importantly, if my man is taking me fishing, be attentive. There will undoubtedly be questions/concerns. Be the teacher.

I'm not particularly fond of trolling either, but it also depends the season. \:\) My love is bass fishing and I got completely hooked through smallies. Take her out and get her hooked on one. Let it fight for awhile, so she can feel the strength of the fish. The rush of adrenaline you get is incredible. Be near for help, BUT encourage her to take it off the hook. She can't have that claim to fame if she doesn't do the work. \:\) Plus, then she can brag it up with the big boys/girls after hours. And don't forget to bring a camera in the boat!!!

carpman:

Another guy's perspective here. Sorry ladies. If she likes to throw spinnerbaits and cranks and you like to fish for pike, that's a match made in heaven. You don't need to switch to bass unless you both want to.

A chartreuse spinnerbait tipped with a 4-inch sucker minnow cast into summer-fall cabbage beds, especially along the deep weed edge, is one of the most deadly pike getters there is. And a floating-diving crank cast into the same cabbage beds and twitched back just under the surface is a close second, particularly a husky j e r k type bait that suspends during the pause.

Her method of fishing, your favorite fish. Yes! You'll also find more than your share of bass that way, and the bass that hit the spinnerbait/sucker will be NICE ones.

Otherwise, compromise.

My mate is the slip-bobber queen of all time, for all species. It's simply what she loves to do most in fishing. Anchor, fish for pannies with slip bobber/leeches and walleyes in the evening. She is a detail fanatic, and the subtle changes she makes in depth, action, bait size and so forth are lost on me. That's heaven for her. Not so much heaven for me, but I get great appreciation when I sit back and watch her make these slight adjustments and pick up fish after fish.

Conversely, she's bored out of her mind ice fishing, while I could ice fish most every day of the week. So in winter I fish and she stays home. In spring, summer and fall we fish together, sometimes my way, sometimes hers.

I'd rather spend the day watching her catch fish her way and be happy as a pig in . . . than to have me load up the boat my way while she's miserable.

It makes me VERY happy when I see her happy, you know? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

stfcatfish and others

thank you very much for all your help my wife says she wants to catch the biggest pike ever im excited. mr stfcatfish i think you you hit the nail on the head she loves pike she told me she only wanted to catch bass to make me feel good because i want her to enjoy it how sweet. i guess we will be pike people bass are still fun to catch but we both would rather get pike i found out she was spying on this article says its great thanks for all your help

When I was, engaged to my wife, she and her mom bought me a 2person ice house. The idea was for my wife and I to fish together. So far I'm the only one to have fished from it. This year I purchased a Scout Pro to fish from. I'm keeping the 2 person Eskimo for the day she will come out. We did fish a small tournament this fall, had a great time. Even though the fishing was poor. She came along to Red Wing last March, caught 4 keeper fish, cuddled -up in a sleeping bag and read a book.

I didn't mind her stopping to read, as along as we were in the boat together is all that really mattered.