• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spear Shak Plans...Help!

Hey Fellas...

Just had the new garage built w\ heated floor. Now all i need is some help from you guys. I would like to build a new spear house to hold two w\ maybe a center hole. Also i would like to be able to mount some sort of skiis or skids to pull on the ice. Any help would be great. Just finished two of my ice videos this mornin'. I've got the ice shakes bad. Thanks again. Steve

I have seen a 4*8 spear shak that one man can load in the back of the pickup. It is a rear hole, bottom is a sheet of plastic so it slides easy and dosent stick down, and the walls were constructed out of cardboard,with 2*2's for studs,then had the spray on insulation ( like a whole lot of GREAT STUFF )put on it which makes it ridgid.

looked pretty nice. just some ideas.

I have a spear shack that my Dad & I made years back and am actually in the works to build another one this fall. It's a really simple set-up and works great. I just used 3 sheets of treated plywood (cut to size of course however big you want it). We made ours so it will slide right above the rear wheel wells (width) and the length of a full size pick up box. It's a simple base and two wood walls (one on the door side and the other on the opposite wall). Then staple heavy duty black canvas all the way around for the two long sides and top. Then just fold her up and put 2 poles up on the inside to hold it up. I cut in a plexi-glass window too for additional light when I'm not spearing. We have two spears holes in this shack along with 3 other angling holes on the opposite sides (so a total of 7 angling holes if needed. But you can't really fit 4 guys in my house comfortably w/ gear and beer so it's more than I need. I usually have just two of us in here and it's more than enough room for everything and a sunflower heater. It keeps plenty warm and it's pitch black when you need it for spearing. The only downfall is that it's a little heavy when you have to haul it out yourself on skis through the snow. It's very easy to build and not much $ involved either. It can easily be built in a day if you have all of the materials on hand. Just figure out your dimensions and start cutting and stapling away. I also went to the goodwill and picked up a pair of cheap downhill skis for $7.00 for my skis to haul the house and gear on. I have some cross members between the skis to keep them straight and held apart. This works great in early season when there's not much snow.
Good Luck on the house!

I just finished building a portable spearhouse with plywood ends/floor and canvas sides. I don't have any plans, but it was not that complicated. As stated in the other post, hing the ends to the floor and fasten a tarp to the ends. My cost was $100 for lumber/hardware and $100 for a high quality canvas tarp. Being the sides are hinged, the house folds down flat and fits in the back of a pickup.

Glad to see some of you guys are thinking about spearing. Lets keep the spear posts coming.

Owen

Scott,
Your post gave me a great idea, how about having a designated garage saler each weekend and have all the stuff put up for sale on FM. A few people would have to sacrifice and the rest could hunt and fish! Its a thought.

My fiancee's dad has the same idea as listed above where he has a 4X8 house that has wood floor and two would ends with doors on each side(nice for getting some fresh air when angling). Instead of heavy and expensive canvas, he has two layers of dark blue plastic tarp. The two layers make it very dark inside, they also make it very dry inside because there is no where near the condensation inside with two layers, and it is very cheap. He replaces a layer or two every couple years for around $10-$15 a layer. Good luck and leave some for the rest of us!