• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"Redpolls"

jonny_redhorse

Well ,I knew we were going to be hit with some inclement weather later in the day so grabbed my gear (and a couple of pepsies and pringles grin.gif)and headed out about 7:30 this morning...destination was the "bog" once again...Blue Spruce road again but wanted to concentrate on the 2 species of redpolls there...now I'm no expert on redpolls so I'm not really that sure what species of redpoll I have here... grin.gif...certainly a beautiful bird non the less!....no one was at the feeders this morning!...just moi! grin.gif

Frame_copy2redpoll.jpg

Frame_DSCF0044-1copy.jpg

Frame_DSCF0034-1copy.jpg

Frame_DSCF0035copy.jpg

Frame_DSCF4646-2.JPG

Frame_DSCF4673-1.JPG

of course the pine grosbeaks were there!

Frame_DSCF4662-8copy.jpg

not sure what kind of animal this "was"! grin.gif(owl avenue)

Frame_DSCF4627-1copy.jpg

Nice shots, Jonny. Great to see you got out before the weather turned UGLY! grin.gifgrin.gif

These are all common redpolls. If you see a redpoll that's so pale it's almost white and has very little streaking, you may have a hoary redpoll, which are far less common than the, uh, commons, but often hang around with them.

thanks Steve and all!...I looked up some photos of the "hoary" and a guy named "Christopher L. wood"(reknowned birder of sorts) had some photos of one taken at the blue spruce road just last saturday!( he has em on one of the bigger photo sites)...apparently they are there and I just couldn't distinguish the difference between them...now I know what to look for next time at the blue spruce station! grin.gif...in next few weeks!...geesh..lots of heavy hitter birders apparently go to the bog as he had photos of blackbacked and 3 toeds on the mcdavitt road last week also...