• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Relating summer patterns

Rippinlip

I was just wondering if anyone puts summer patterns into action on the ice?

What I am talking about is, I have been fishing a huge inside turn and catching a fair amount of fish, but I am off the "edge" a little ways, catching suspended fish. Most of these fish are about 7-10 feet off the bottom in 33 feet of water.

When this happens in the summer I will move to the "edge" tighter and see if I can get them a little more agressive while they are coming off the feeding flat.

Am I on the right way of thinking or are these fish suspended in the winter time and do not make the run to the flats?

I was just wondering if anyone has had success at this manuever, I am going to hit it hard this week and do alot of moving to see what may happen towards the edge.

I would venture to say that there is a population of fish that use the inside turn near the break, and then there is a seperate school of fish suspended over the hole.It depends on the size of the lake, and the how fast the depth gradient changes, as to how many fish will be in which spot.The shallower fish near the turn/break will probably be larger in size, and more aggressive,looking for food.The suspended fish will bite as you have already found out, but are mainly schooling up there for the 'safety in numbers' factor.