• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Taking The Train To Devils Lake?

I was reading up on taking the amtrak out to devils lake to save on gas money. After reading the rules on checked baggage it appears I wouldn't be able to take my auger with me...is this true? I plan on renting an ice house anyway, but would like to be able to drill a bunch of holes outside of the shack. If I can't bring my own, can I rent one or have someone from the resort punch a bunch of holes for me? Other than that it looks like a fun money saving trip.

Typically a guide will punch a couple of extra holes outside the house, as long as your request isn't too crazy or too far from the house. The guide may be more inclined if there's a little tip in it for him / her, but I don't think your request is too unreasonable.

marine_man

That's not too bad then. I guess the number of holes would depend on the number of people also. Would about 6 holes be too much to ask for? And yes, I wouldn't have any problem tipping the guy...especially since the ice will probably be about 36 inches thick. Thanks for the info, I'll probably find out tonight if I can make this trip possible.

I wasn't planning on going until the first or 2nd weekend of march. But it looks like it's not going to happen this year. We're leaning more towards a trip to ely for some lake trout fishing. Hopefully next year I can plan it out a little better and make it happen though.