• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

just a few pics of the rum i took for the heck of it

i by no means know what i'm doing. i do enjoy taking pictures, mostly when im not catcing fish, all of the pictures are on the rum river

on top of about a 50 ft drop off

100_3011.jpg

100_3730.jpg

does anyone know what kind of bird these are? i see lots of them

100_2951.jpg

100_3018.jpg

100_3649.jpg

where a creek goes into the river(the dock in the background is my fishin spot)100_3511-1.jpg

100_3544.jpg

100_3013.jpg

thanks, yea i love that river. i am on it about 4-5 days a week in the summer, whether its tubing with friends or fishing or just walkin on the paths. i have permission from landowners and between all 20- yes 20 of them i have about a mile stretch of river. its bout 5 miles north of anoka and i usually see about 1 other boat/group of people in a week so its nice and quiet.

i'm not positive because its been a couple of months but i do think that they did make some weird noises like that. the river is the only place that i have seen them and i think they are cool lookin birds.

I was busy and didn't reply right away but wanted to get back to this due to curiosity. Gosh, I hate to disagree with our resident birding expert, STCatfish, but I do believe, as Mike does, that it is a Green Heron. A juvenile, maybe. The dark crown, white mustache and all dark wings is the key according to what I see in my Sibley guide and from my own experiences in what I've always believed to be Green Herons. How big was it? The Bittern is actually a pretty big bird. 28 inches vs. 18 inches. 2 for the GH and 2 for the AB. Now what? I hope that helps.

Yes, I agree with art. I was a little uneasy about my ID of the first bird, and after looking it over again in Sibley I think you are right.

I thought they were two different birds when I first saw them, that the first bird might be a bittern, but that the second clearly was a green heron. If I'd taken the time to ask Burnham if they were the same bird and he'd said they were, that would have sealed it as a green heron in my mind.

Should have taken the time to get more info instead of making an assumption. My bad. \:\(

Thanks art321! I'd much rather be corrected if I make a mistake than to let an incorrect ID stand. grin.gifgrin.gif