• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new traps design

gvg_uwec

Yesterday i stoped at sheel's here in Eau Claire to check out the new fish trap/others... well all i have to say is i am definately getting the others! I was so disapointed in the new fish trap design. In the new guide the 2 seat rails are BOLTED on across the sled of the trap. For one if you go out by yourself you have to keep the seat and rails on unless you want to unbolt them each time. Also the seats DON'T swivel or remove from the rails. The seat can be removed somewhat easily if someone orders a coulple of parts. but your still stuck with the rails going across the sled, which rings me to my next point...with the rails across the sled the auger doesnt fit in the sled...im sure you could set it on top but then the travel cover wont fit because the auger is sitting too tall! They also have a lack of windows compared to the Frabil xl twin (which i am leaning very heavily on gettig when funds are availible) the clams only have the ones in front where the frabil has them on all sides. The frabil also has removeable seats that can be positioned side to side in the sled at any position. Also the sled is taller in the frabil which means you can take more dump with on the trips. Anyway I was very dissapointed with the new clam model and im sure when you guys see them to you will know what i mean.

I agree. The Frabill XL-Twin and the Solo are more user friendly. More usable room too.

The seat system is far more comfortable and functional. The weight difference is not significant in relation to the the big gain in comfort you get with the Frabill system.

Ed Carlson

Backwater Guiding

><,sUMo,>

Yeah, I have a Fish Trap II that's about five years old, and I like that the seat boards slide forward and back. Makes a big difference. And if I want back support, I use a black plastic fold-up seat that pops on.

Only thing I like about the Guides is the fabric and the zip-out door. That new seating system is the pits.

Two options for me when the Trap II tent wears out (lots of patches right now on the one I've got.. One is to get a Guide tent, which as I recall runs $170 or so and use it on my Trap II frame. Would only need a modification or two. The other would be to buy a Guide and take the seats out of my Trap II and install that system in the Guide.

On the other hand, lots of other options out there with different brands. I've just liked the Traps really well.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

I too am not really crazy about them, but in the same respect they are one of the lightest and are relatively affordable for a two man . My decision will be between a otter medium cabin and a fish trap guide.

I was really excited about the Nordic that is coming out but after looking at it, I lost some interest. The support bracket for the poles is undersized and lacks the needed support, which makes the house "wobbly". They also used 100% aluminum poles which makes a lite house but strong house.

To solve the seating problem for the Fish Trap Pro, I replaced the origonal seat with a padded boat seat. Not the heavy duty ones but the plastic ones with bottom and back padding. Very nice and very light weight too. I took the same attachments that were on the origonal seat and added them to the boat seat so the new seat can still come off. Works great!

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]

Yeah, but when you are spending that kind of money for something, you should not have to go home and change what should be right from the start.

I have not seen the new Traps but from what I am hearing they have taken a step back. I LOVE my Scout, and my XLTwin and my Glacier 3 and my..............

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<
"LOOK ALIVE, MAGGOT!"
(Not you Pal, I was talking to my bait)