• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help me fish my way to the ice fishing show!!

mjhowe

Hi all,

I am planning a trip to the show in December and wonder, will there be any places to ice fish along the way??

In a traditional year, is there ice between Montana and MNPLS and where? We would like to spend at least 2 days at a nice resort and dont mind going a little out of our way north to do so.

So, Devils Lake? Milacs? Leech?? How bout some resort recomendations along the way??
We will have the wives along so want someplace fairly nice, they will be fishing but we want them to be comfortable and occupied if they choose to just relax for a day too.

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<
"LOOK ALIVE, MAGGOT!"
(Not you Pal, I was talking to my bait)

Mike
Thats a long way off...depends on how cold it gets. Last year low had good ice and most of the bays of bigger lakes like Mille Lacs had fishable ice, it all depended on the wind also on the bigger lakes... You will have to plan on a day to day thing dependent on weather.

I think you would be better off staying in a centralized location and being mobil. I was ice fishing in aitkin county thanksgiving weekend last year. The year before that, I didn't ice fish till late december. Stay as north as you can and you should be good. Think about the detroit lakes area maybe. Smaller lakes will be a safer bet than big lakes like mille lacs, leech. Just one mans opinion.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Hey mj,
how far in advance do you have to make your plans?

That early in the season it's a crap shoot. Best bets are smaller shallow lakes or shallow southern bays on bigger lakes. They usually freeze over 1st. The further north ups your odds as well.

The temp and wind will determine what works for you that early in the season.

Well, we are planning on going, but if its an odd year that no lakes are froze by Tday, then we may cancel. I was just wondering what we would be looking at if its a "normal" year. We can probably wait until Thanksgiving to make our plans for sure.

Biggest thing is where to stay if we do go, I can make reservations for MNPLs, but want some ideas for some resorts to stay a day or two close to fishing.

I know its 2.5 months away but the early bird gets the worm!!(and the best deals)

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<
"LOOK ALIVE, MAGGOT!"

Thanks, all, for the replies. Yes, we will be fishing on the way home, after the show. Gotta try out all dem new toys dontchaknow!

I will watch as we get closer, but how bout some resort reccomendations??

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<
"LOOK ALIVE, MAGGOT!"

Mike, depending on the weather of course I'm usually able to walk onto LOTW somewhere by Turkey day. Last year I think it was right around the 25th or 26th of November that I could walk safely {I thought} onto 4-mile bay and fish Walleye. I had been tip-up fishing for Pike a week or so prior to that over on Z-bay.

Keep an eye here for reports as the fall progresses, and if you can schedule your trip so you can fish on your way home maybe?

Regards....Fisky