• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Otter Cover?

Wables

I am looking to buy an Otter Medium Cabin this year, and am wondering what the differences are between the tents offered by Otter, Canvas Craft, Thorne Brothers, etc. Are they all the same size? Same material? Same frame? I live in Michigan, but I am going to make the trip to Minneapolis in December to see if I can compare them during the Icefishing Show. Thank You!

Wables

IM sorry I misread your post. Otters are sled types and more portable. In my opinion the best sled style house out there. Canvas craft are nice but most are wood flored and Suitecaes style. If I wanted a sled style and$ was no object I would go Otter. If I wanted a suitecase style I would go the Frabil speedshack XL again.

Thank you Northlander, but let me rephrase my question. I am going to buy an Otter sled, but am wondering who to buy the tent for it from. The dimensions on the tents listed on the Canvas Craft web site are different than those listed on the Otter site. The Thorne Bros. and Canvas Craft tents are black, but the Otter are green or purple. Canvas Craft doesn't show a door, but Thorne Bros. and Otter do. Only Thorne Bros. shows what the tent material is. What's the scoop?

I can talk for the other models canvas craft and Thornes, but I have a Green Otter style and I am well satified with it. I am 6'3" and I can stand up in it rather comfortably. I know some people like the canvas craft but I have never used one or been inside of one.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Only thing I can think of is they take a Otter tub and make their own tent for them. Maybe thats the reason for the different sizes and lack of a door. Make sure you get the door! You save your heat then and dont have to break your seal around the house.

Northlander that is what they do you get an otter sled and then canvas craft has a house kit that you can install on the Otter sled. They are similar in price if I remember from my research from last year when I got the otter model that I did.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

I have an Otter Mag. Lodge. It is pretty comfortable for 2 people. I bought mine used for $400 with a tow bar, travel cover, and then one seat with it. New everything would be around $650. I am pleased with it. It is another ave. to look down buying used there is always someone selling an otter somewhere you just have to keep your eyes open. Good luck

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Get the black skin from canvas craft. They breath a little more and when it is 10 degrees or above and sunny the skin absorbs the suns rays and I usually don't run a heater. I have had mine for 4 years now and is in great shape.