• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

advice re: mobility in deep snow conditions

Last winter my kids became enthusiatic ice fisherpersons, and it is clear that from now forward I'll have 2-4 kids with me on my trips, and we will be fishing large bodies of water, such as Winnibigoshish. This past winter, with little snowfall, it was easy to go anywhere on a lake with our van and trailer (latter for a double-wide Otter portable plus equipment). What I'm wondering is what method works best for getting around on a lake in heavy snow, with a need to transport one to two adults plus 2 to 4 kids, as well as a large portable shleter plus gear? What, for example, are the pros and cons of ATVs (wheeled, or tracked?), snowmobiles, or even an Argo tracked ATV? What do others use? Ideas, even this early in the season, would be greatly appreciated. Leave an e-mail address so that I can contact you with questions, if you feel comfortable in doing so. Thanks!

------------------

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Be sure to do a search on this topic here as well. Lots of good info already here.

I'm sure there is plenty of new advice to share as well, especially given your circumstances.

I found this works well with an ATV. I hitch the Otter Lodge to the ATV. On each side of the Otter Lodge hitch I attach a 20' tow strap. Each strap goes back to a sled, in which each boy rides in. So, I'm on the ATV, Otter Lodge pulled behind me and each boy on an SMALL Otter sled behind the Otter Lodge. I have room to ride, my gear is behind me and each boy loves 'sledding', way back in the pack.
When the fishing action slows down, I attach both sleds to the rear of the ATV and give 'em a slow sled ride around the lake.....WITHIN SIGHT of my Otter Lodge and gear left setup on the lake.

Yes Dave, sounds like it should work well, and I bet the boys love it, BUT, getting back to the question, what works best in heavy snow?
choice #1, snowmobile
choice #2, snowmobile
choice #3, snowmobile
In my experience with heavy or deep snow, you can't beat a snowmobile,atv's are great in some snow but a sled will always get you around,and if you see taking several people out,look into a long track and maybe a two-up seat,with a hitch in place to pull a sled for gear. And if you want to go one step better try a wide track long track with a two-up seat, real work horse. Even when going out with no snow the sleds still work( can be tough on the hy-fax but still work)and when trying to cross cracks or pressure ridges sleds are a better bet than a wheeler. Late last winter we skipped across active cracks easily while the wheelers were driving miles to find a place to cross. And the other thing to keep in mind is if there is heavy snow, chances are that there is going to be water and or slush under the snow from the weight of the snow on the ice, and if so, even a sled will struggle with this, but wheelers are hopeless.(IMHO) I have both a wheeler and a snowmobile so have seen both sides for each machine in these conditions. SO, Reid in answering your question, I would place a snowmobile on top of the list when moving in heavy snow. Good fishing. <(((((((><
tnt

What IS "heavy snow"? How deep? No matter how deep, wet or fluffy? The answer is really going to depend on how much you're going to use the machine (sled or ATV) for ice fishing or recreation. Early parts of the year, if no snow, wheelers are the ticket. IF we get deep snow, sleds will work better for cross the lake travel, off plowed roads.

Tall tires and studs/chains could be added to an ATV for better ice/packed snow traction too. 12-inches of snow isn't really a problem to travel with an ATV; much deeper snow doesn't stop an ATV with the right equipment (tires/chains/lift kit/etc.)
Really try and study how much you'll use either machine and for what. Trail riding (winter and summer)? Snow plowing? Strictly ice fishing? Hunting? Is it neccesary to travel far off lake plowed roads during the winter? Will you drive your car/truck on the lake for ice fishing when ice thickness permits? There's many things to think about if you really want to spend your money wisely.

Forgot to say. I've ridden the Argo machines, with and without tracks. Without, the Argo hung up pretty fast in 2-foot snow depths; couldn't plow through. With tracks, I could creep right through. The Argo is really impressive with the track kit. Cost is up there though and use on public land is limited.

Another alternative is the track kit for ATVs. Costly yes but the machine could be used all year in any weather condition. On Red Lake last year, we were riding track equipped ATVs through waist deep snow and crawling over the plowed road snow banks.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 09-06-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 09-06-2003).]

Aqua Eye,
I don't want to rain on your parade but a ton is too much for a sled to pull. You might get it out on the lake with very little snow but you'd run out of traction and power trying to pull it uphill (off the ice). In the 1970s we pulled dark houses on the ice that were framed with 2x4s and were 4x8 in size but I don't know what they weighed. With the 2x6 skids, skinny side down, they were often a bear to move even with kids pushing. Our tractor and Bronco worked much better and in fact we couldn't often drag them up our gradual ramp with the sleds. Granted, sleds nowdays have a lot more power and traction can be added but don't even think about hauling a ton through deep snow, drifts or slush. The sleds worked fine early in the season when we had no snow and needed to get customers some action before the ice was thick enough for heavier machinery. Maybe others think differently so stay tuned. Good luck.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, That's why I haven't put one of those hitches on my sled. The ATV definately worked well enough the last couple of years. I usually can get someone to pull the shack out for me when I want on earlier ice. I just use the truck later on. I think the ATV is where a guy should put the money. Besides with all the ATV's being sold you can count on having a larger array of accessories and updates to meet the popular demand. It seems to me like snowmobiling has only lost market share the last few years. I just can't see the ATV market slipping at all. The snowmobile is great for pulling portables but as soon as the ice is thick enough I get my butt off the bucket and onto a bunk! wink.gif Enough said, thanks again fellow FMers-TROY

TNT4ME-
I do not own an ATV but do own a sled. I have a 98 Arctic Cat panterra w/2 up seat. I even toyed with the idea of trading in the sled for an ATV last year because of the lack of snow the last few years.
We have had some good times while out ice fishing and taking turns trail riding, ice skating, sledding and such with the little ones but an ATV just seems so much more versatile don't you think? I know the question pertained to deep snow versatility but at what point do you give up the ATV and take the sled? And at what point does a guy/gal load everyone up in the truck or SUV and break a trail that way?
After reading your response to the question I want to keep the sled I have and add a hitch to it. How well could I expect to pull a 2000 lbs., 6'6"x14' shack on wheels with my sled once the ice was thick enough for the permanent?
I have found this topic interesting and I also enjoyed reading your post as well. I would hate to see this thread become an ATV or Sled bashing session and hope that cooler heads with honest opinions will rule the day. Thanks for your opinions everyone. I just thought I would jump in with a couple rookie questions of my own. Thanks again-TROY

I have both the benefit of using a sled or a ATV. I own a sled but my dad has a ATV. If you like to snowmobile get a sled. They can ride on anything; Grass/dirt, Ice, and snow. But if ur towing anything in some slush or just fresh, powder snow on top of the ice it wont work. Thats were studs come into play, they will help you get alot more traction.
And if ur riding on bare ice with a sled don't go long distances b/c your track will lock up onto your hy-faxs.
A ATV is nice for hauling more thing w/out a sled behind it but a sled will get you places faster and like someone metioned across water if you really need to.
ATV's are great if you can use them year around and not only in the winter. If ur only going to use it in the winter get a sled, thats what my opinion would be.

------------------
Fish ON!

Dave: You said "Track Kit" for ATV. I have a Kawasaki Mule, and would like to add tracks to the rear, and skis to the front. Where do I get info on this type of installation? ....Kaz

up at hay days last weekend there was a 500 AC with tracks on all fours. its had a tape playing , it showed the 4 wheeler pulling a big load of logs. It looked like a very good unit and the price was around $2700. I cant remember the name off the top of my head thought.

TNX Dave for the lead...I'll check it out. I want to be able to follow the Bomber's out on LOTW this winter. I've seen tracks only o the rear, and I'll put removalable skis on the front...Kaz

Buy an ATV and then find a cheap snowmobile for ice fishing when (and if) the snow ever flys. The old ones are simple to operate and easy to fix if need be.

I find cheap snowmobiles all over the place. I was even given a '95 EXT as long as I picked it up and got it running. There are deals out there. The EXT turned out to be a good machine that only needed a few bucks for new fuel lines and I fixed the rest.

I have an ATV with 26" tires and it gets stuck in drifts. There's only so much snow they will take on before it struggles and gets hung up.

Mattracks manufactures ATV tracks. They are sweet for deep snow! They're made in northern MN, possibly Greenbush?