• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How fast do you drive across the lake?

Hammer Handle

Originally Posted By: Hammer Handle
I was asking for on the fishing forum we are talking about how to dispose of your ice blocks.

Who has nearly hit one in the past?

I have hit one in the past and i wasnt running hard,, I would like to point out that ice blocks are a definate hazard that needs to be marked ( preferred sunk back in the hole) for sure... Any time that i do open up my sled i always take a trail run to make sure that there is nothing that is going to cause a problem.. There can be old fish house banks or plowed road ways or the ice blocks or even open water.. Point is IMO that most times just going slow hitting something on the lake is a problem.

Thanks.

I am just concerned because I am moving my house this weekend and want to do what it right.

I guess the way I have been doing it for many years is ok then.

sure is nice to see some one who takes consideration for the next guy... that is a very rare qualitythese days .. so my hats off to you ;\)

Originally Posted By: cementhead21

sure is nice to see some one who takes consideration for the next guy... that is a very rare qualitythese days .. so my hats off to you ;\)

I second that. all I ever ask for is some consideration and respect. seems like that is lost more and more with today's "sportsmen". Thanks!

All it takes is a stick, small tree branch, or something sticking up out of the ice to catch your attention. It really doesn't take much. In a sea of white, a small brown twig sticks out like a sore thumb.

there is a speed limit on the lakes isn't there?

if you are unfamiliar with the area don't outdrive your headlights. I am a snowmobiler and i will open er up if I know the lake and know there isn't any use. If i am on a lake that is fished or speared i will be much more careful...

Great points, guys.

I think the state speed limit is 55 mph and applies to lakes as well.

IMO it is a loaded question. I go as fast as safety and visibility tells me I can. I am sure I have been in the 90 range but that is just on wide open areas of little snow and excellent visibility. Those ice chucks can be anywhere, but with very little snow you can usually see them. During the night I don;t go faster than 40 across the lake and sometimes that is too fast. It is hard to see ice chucks at night.

I have had some buddies that have hit some -- not good. I saw a guy get launched about 40 feet in the air -- and no injuries. He was lucky -- most people are not that lucky.

For me, conditions dictate my speed no matter where I am.

Originally Posted By: Dahitman44

I think the state speed limit is 55 mph and applies to lakes as well.

Fom the regs:

Speed Limits

It is unlawful to operate a snowmobile in excess of:

50 MPH on any public lands or waters

the posted speed limits on a trail

a speed greater than various trail, terrain and visibility conditions dictate

a road’s posted speed limit or 50 MPH, whichever is

LOWER, while operating in the ditch

any governmental unit snowmobile speed limit.

Governmental units include any city, county, municipality,

township, or conservation district.

A county may enact a daytime 65 mph speed limit for marked trails on lakes that are over 10,000 acres. The county would need to pass an ordinance and receive approval of the ordinance by the Commissioner of DNR. Individual counties will have more information on the location and status of any designated 65 mph trails.

A co-worker hit one of these blocks and broke his back. Another co-workers brother hit a block and died. Was speed a factor in both of these incidents, possibly, though I don't know for sure. The best advice given here was to not drive faster than your abilities or conditions allow. Even that can sometimes be difficult at times.

snowmobile speed limit statewide is 50 MPH unless posted less. always know were your riding, if your concerned about ice blocks, don't speed, or know were your riding. most spear blocks are around shallow water, so sometimes you have to think proactive. I only will ride fast in a known unobstuctive area that I have been through. and a F8 can go fast.

Originally Posted By: SledNeck

I for one never go over the speed limit. I usually just go 15-20mph across lakes at all times.

Thats why you have the fastest sled out there! ;\) The extra power is "just in case" right?

The last Mach I owned went into "stealth mode" if you squeezed it hard enough. crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: knoppers
and a F8 can go fast.

I heard the f7s are faster.

I for one never go over the speed limit. I usually just go 15-20mph across lakes at all times.

the 08 f8 is supposed to be a little faster than the 07 model. the F7 could be a little quicker since its about 40 pounds lighter. I still like my F8 over the F7 for the handling which is a big factor in the sleds I buy.

25 MPH tops across the lakes.......only when pulling the ice house.

50 may be the law but its a joke on a well traveled lake path. I wont do it. Main reason I no longer take my big trips in Minn. Wis doesnt have such a daytime law so that's where my business goes. Once I know the lake I dabble with the century mark and beyond now and then. It's a heckuva thrill.

I would say MN has less "sledding" enforcement than any other state Ive ridden in. Seems rare to get a ticket here or to even see a DNR officer.

Hey SledNeck,, you may not think they are out there but they are.. Heres a true event from a few years ago that took place on the range.. I dont know if you remember or not but in the 90's there was a guy who owned a shop( sold sleds and 4 wheelers) in Chisholm who raced sleds..He was out riding one day with some buddies and they were hauling the mail down a railroad grade. I am not positive but I think it was between Bil Mars and Pengilly on the grade it happened. The DNR set up a speed trap and one of the CO's involved (at the time) lived in Pengilly who I will referr to as just G L..These boys were were flying down the trail and out popped a stop sign which this guy (now referred to as "F") blew thru.If i recall correctly the speeds were up in 100mph range( give or take a bit). Remember F also raced for a living besides running the shop.. Well smart old G L decided that he would stop F and he did.. How he did it was not the smartest thing to do by jumping out on to the trail in front of F..Poor G L got his butt run over and busted up his leg real bad. F,,IMO got the worst part of the deal since he had to pay for not only his own mistake in the speed he was going but also G L's stupidity for jumping out in front of a speeding sled. In the court proceedings F lost his right to ride sleds on or off the track which cost him his racing career and in turn his shop. This dont count his fines or any other legal [PoorWordUsage] that was tossed at him.

G L still works as a CO the last i heard after being on work comp for about 2 years ( I think it was)after the accident..

Moral of this true story is .. Be careful When you Wanna Go Fast ;\)

Originally Posted By: cementhead21
I would say MN has less "sledding" enforcement than any other state Ive ridden in. Seems rare to get a ticket here or to even see a DNR officer.

Hey SledNeck,, you may not think they are out there but they are.. Heres a true event from a few years ago that took place on the range.. I dont know if you remember or not but in the 90's there was a guy who owned a shop( sold sleds and 4 wheelers) in Chisholm who raced sleds..He was out riding one day with some buddies and they were hauling the mail down a railroad grade. I am not positive but I think it was between Bil Mars and Pengilly on the grade it happened. The DNR set up a speed trap and one of the CO's involved (at the time) lived in Pengilly who I will referr to as just G L..These boys were were flying down the trail and out popped a stop sign which this guy (now referred to as "F") blew thru.If i recall correctly the speeds were up in 100mph range( give or take a bit). Remember F also raced for a living besides running the shop.. Well smart old G L decided that he would stop F and he did.. How he did it was not the smartest thing to do by jumping out on to the trail in front of F..Poor G L got his butt run over and busted up his leg real bad. F,,IMO got the worst part of the deal since he had to pay for not only his own mistake in the speed he was going but also G L's stupidity for jumping out in front of a speeding sled. In the court proceedings F lost his right to ride sleds on or off the track which cost him his racing career and in turn his shop. This dont count his fines or any other legal [PoorWordUsage] that was tossed at him.

G L still works as a CO the last i heard after being on work comp for about 2 years ( I think it was)after the accident..

Moral of this true story is .. Be careful When you Wanna Go Fast ;\)

I remember that. I never said the MNDNR was not out there, they just are out there less than other states..

Suzuki, if you are driving that fast across the lake...I am glad you have to go to another state to do it.

Not trying to be mean, but that is not right.

Everyone under age 60 with a modern sled rides fast across a lake. Thats just the way it is.