• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brittany or English

ChrisT

Springer. I am on my 4th and i have 5 kids. they are house dogs first and hunters second. My 3rd one hunts well till you shoot something, then he is not so good. Partly since i rescued him from an abusive owner at 2 years old and he has become a wonderful family dog. Just bought my 4th and she is only 4 months old and is all ready retrieving any and everything.

My little Brittany "Bailey Rocks" is now 12 weeks old and is pointing like a champ! Pretty impressive for that little girl. I've got a wing attached to some fishing line at the end of my rod, and she will hold point for ever! How exciting! I may need to rename her the "Grouse Eliminator"

RD

I have to agree with the Springer. You know, I picked up my first Springer about 5 months ago - he's going on 8 months - 34 pound, likes to play, sits on my feet, likes to still sit on my lap some times. He's a lot of fun - a little cautious around new things, but fun.

But then I took him out for his first training session - with a bunch of trial guys. Good gravy - it was like a switch was flipped. It was great working with the guys to get him to quarter and then see him bring back a clipped wing. It was like it was another dog.

To me, it's the best of both worlds - I have a nice family house dog that is fun - and now, from what it looks like, a great hunting companion that has a lot of "hunt" in him.

Good luck in your search.

How do you hunt?

I used to work with labs and a big line of guys running and gunning. That worked well with flushing dogs. I broke away from that crew and ended up with a Brit. Now I hunt with one or maybe two other guys. It's sort of like going for a walk and waiting for the beeper to go off and then moving over to work the bird.

The first Brit was a total mistake. A trainer called me up after a week and told me he wouldn't waste his time and my money. That dog went back to the breeder.

Second Brit has been just a great dog, both in the field and in the house. Small enough to not be a hassle in the house, but big enough to bring me back anything that flies that I have shot.

Just got the third Brit Sept.1 This dog seems to be a great problem solver when playing around the house with #2. If a ball goes under a chair #3 will go around the back of the chair to see if it went all the way. We even taught him to ring a bell when he has to go outside to take care of business. I just put a small bell by the back door and we'd ring it every time we let him out. After a couple of weeks it took and now I can be nearly anyplace in the house and when he has to go he lets me know.

I guess my advice is to read a couple books about each breed you consider and once you focus on one start to look around for a breeder. My experience in shopping for #3 was that it was sort of like shopping for carpet. You don't know what you're going to get cause everyone selling a dog is selling the best dog ever born. So talk to guys you find who have the breed you want and work back to that breeder - you need recommendations from owners. For example, either this Ben guy has a lot of relatives writing him up or he seems to have good dogs.

Before you get the dog learn a bit about the training thing. I've read this forum for quite a while and I can't believe what some people expect of their dog.

Good luck.

i know a guy who sells english labs they qaare amazing quiet alot smaller than an american lab great family dog from what i have seen and great hunters too... i have an 8 month old english springer he is amazing great with very little kids he is showing signs of a truly great hunter learning fast and actually very calm for a springer... i perfer to hunt over flushers... but i have hunted over brittanys and they were very good but very wild dogs... but that can happen with any dog you know.... i can give you the HSOforum or numbers or the springer breeders where i got mine, and the english labs if you would like...

100_3436.jpg

100_3434.jpg

100_3435.jpg

That is my pup i am very happy with him so far in looks and in attitude

Let me know if you want more in for you can PM me asd well if you would like

~Phil