• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tranplanting trees

fishin58

I am looking at transplanting some trees this spring, they are pine trees, not sure on the exact kind. They are at my father-in-laws. He is looking to thin his out, they are from 10-15 feet. Is spring a good time for these trees to be moved? What other precautions need to be taken?? Besides calling the undergraound wire man.

What I would be wondering is are they pine or spruce and which type of pines?

Red pines are pretty bulletproof. Whites can be kinda site specific and don't like salt.

Evergreens should be done in the spring or early fall. They need a lot of moisture and time to settle in before winter.

Evergreens ar pretty hardy. Make sure you get as much of the rootsystem as possible. evergreens roots extend out rather then down, so dig at least out to the branch ends. They need lots of water and early spring or fall is best. Don't transplant in high heat or the heat of the summner.

Are you planning on useing a tree transplanter(Tree Spade truck or digger) or are you going to try dig these trees by hand or with some other piece of equipment? I know that useing the right tool for the job will increase the chances of the tree's survivial. I would go with a tree transplanter in the fall and you would have your best results.

My best advice as a landscape professional? Look for a period in the spring when its cool and wet. Try to transplant before Memorial Day or after labor day. Don't transplant during hot or dry spells.

I completely agree with ZOOM use a tree spade if possible. Get as much of the root system as you can.

Dont forget you after care. The trees will be stressed from losing a huge portion of their root systems. Keep them water but dont fertilize heavily. Make sure to mulch them right away with 3-4" of mulch. Pines and Spruces need the root zone to be kept cool and moist. Mulch will maintain moisture and keep the temp low. Over mulching eliminates the O2 source needed by the root system.

Originally Posted By: Quetico
Make sure to mulch them right away with 3-4" of mulch..... Over mulching eliminates the O2 source needed by the root system.

Beware of the mulch "volcano". Its best to get an even 3-4" of mulch across the root zone, but leave a little space around the tree truck. You don't want lots of moisture right agaist the bark of the tree because it could encourage fungus. I just pull it pack a little bit.