• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

High Lifter MST tire review

Kodiak

Here is my review i wrote on highlifter last year regarding the MST tires, if anyone is on the fence deciding on some tires take a gander at this.....

I just recently purchased a set of 28" MST's for my Outty 800 after a lot of sleepless nights and internet searches to find the ideal tire for me. After calling around, asking questions i finally found what i was looking for when i spoke with Dan "BUSHHOG" from highlifter. He didnt try to pressure me into his tires or try to "sell" them to me. He asked me questions, how much riding do i do, what kind of riding, conditions, etc... After listening to my answers he told me where the MST would excel in certain conditions and a general background on the development of the tire.

After recieving the tire, i was very impressed with the look and quality of the tire, it is very easy on the eyes and i love the siping on the treads. Up here in the winter when it gets about 35 degrees and the snow starts melting we have a greasy top 3" of mud over frozen ground and it is like a pig on ice trying to climb hills and water crossings. This is where the MST outperformed all the other tires and i think it is due to the siping on the tread. The first test was the creek crossings that had ice, mud, and water flowing through them with very steep mud embankments on each side that where very slick due to being frozen ground with a top layer of mud and water on them. I made it down and up the creek crossings with no problem all day, especially this one that i could never get across even in the summer, but now with the increased ground clearance and traction of the 28"s and probally the tire spinning power of the 800 I down and up over it no problem.

Next was the snowbanks along the river, they are huge! I was busting drifts and running through 3ft snow like i was riding a Ski-Doo, i couldnt believe how these tires ate up the snow and just propelled me forward through it! My exes just seemed to dig in the snow and i would go down more than forward. The MST's you just point and pull the trigger and you are through. We do alot of DEEP snow riding on the lakes in the ice fishing season and you usually need a sled this time of the year due to the snow but i think i will take the outlander with the MST's now. By far these are the BEST tires i have used in the snow.

Sand was also very fun and the tires where very capable in the sandpits. We climbed steep embankments and up and down the bowls over big rocks, these things just grip!!! The side tread is good for climbing rocks and getting out of ruts. Again the 28"s gave me the ground clearance to climb over terraces and objects i could never get over before. The sandpit without my sportquad is now fun again!

Highway riding was also decent, we got up to 50 riding in the rain and sleet and it never got dicey or hoppy, the ride was fairly decent at those speeds and the quad never got squirrley. There was some road noise and bumpyness that one would expect with a tire like this but the only time i didnt like was trying to stop suddenly on the highway when it is wet and cold out, you slide before you slow down. not to safe but we didnt want to wait for our buddies and the car trailer to get there so we took off to the riding area before they got there and rode highway and city streets all the way there.

The whole day it was raining and then turned to sleet/snow, it was about 33-35 degrees out, we where all soaked and it was pretty much the worst conditions you could ride in but it was FUN, everything was coated in ice and my buddies that pulled their quads out there had ice all over there hondas when they showed up that they had to bust off before they could ride. Luckly i was wearing my gortex hunting coat and pants so i was wet on the outside but high and dry on the inside! The only thing i was having trouble with we my goggles, someone needs to do a goggle review, my oakley o frames where fogging and just a mess!

We also did a little deep water riding and the MST's did good going slow and when it was getting a little to deep and i wanted out all i did was point and shoot and man i was outta there in a hurry, these things just get up and go and dont dig down and bog up like my other tires in the past have.

I cannot wait for it too get warm out so we can do some water riding and just get out there and have fun and be able to get the coats off and play in the mud. If you are looking for a tire that will do it all and do it all GOOD get the MST, they are priced right and perform better than advertised! There is nothing out there that is priced in the same ballpark that does this good, take the MST challenge you will not be dissapointed.

GO BUY SOME TODAY IF YOU ARE ON THE HEDGE TRYING TO DECIDE WHICH TIRES TO GET, THESE ARE IT!!