• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clam 5600

Philo

I am considering purchasing a new Clam 5600 ice house. Those of you that have one, have you been satisfied with it? I have a cabela's kit ice shelter already and I like the tent style better than the sled style. Any comments would be great.

Thanks for the offers guys, but I think those houses would be too big. I usually fish by myself, or with one other person at the most. I like the size of my cabelas kit model - 4 or 5 X 6.

Philo

In my opinion, the Frabill Speed Shak Cub (4'x6', 75lbs.) is a better shelter for the money. It has about the same dimensions but is more user-friendly, faster to set-up and take down-----don't have to put any poles together. I have a Frabill DLX model (4'x5',45lbs.)with the same design, It's lighter than the Cub and easier for one guy to manage.

hawgTime

[This message has been edited by hawgTime (edited 09-17-2003).]

I have had a 5600 for about 5 seasons now, and I am getting rid of it this fall. I am typically fishing by myself, and putting it up in the wind can be a real challenge. It is also not as mobile as the sled types. All in all it has been a sturdy unit, but my fishing methods have changed so my gear is changing too. If you are insisting on buying a suitcase style, this is not a bad house, but if I were you I would seriously reconsider a sled type.

------------------
Wables

I have been in many different shelters on the market and I personally own the Clam 5600 and the Otter medium cabin. I used the 5600 when I still lived in the wind whipped open expanses of North Dakota. I used homemade ice screws to anchor the house down before I set it up. At first I liked the house because it could block the wind and still keep you warm. It didn't take long(1 year) before the seams opened up and the thing started falling apart. In ND the winds are usually 20-30mph in the winter so it is different from Minnesota... heck in 2 seasons I still haven't had to use my ice anchors yet!!! In ND you wouldn't even think about setting up your ice house without them. If you plan on fishing in a lot of wind I would stay away from the clams. I prefer the Otter medium cabin for both size and quality. The Otter's are the only non-homemade ice houses that I've seen be able to handle strong winds... everything else seems to fall apart much quicker. This is just my opinion but from mine and others around me this was our experience.

I have a Shappel S-4000 and fish with someone who has a 5600 and would take the shappel hands down. Do not get the more expensive S-4000 deluxe as the fabric is way too loose in that one.
Things I like about the shappel-
1) folding skis on the bottom make it easy to pull and they are self contained.
2) carpeted floor is less slippery then plastic floor
3) folding covers for where you drill your holes make it easy for popping two holes and setting your vex beween the two.
4) very easy to set up with two people, and can be done by one if there is no wind.
5) CHEAP.

I was not impressed with the 5600 that my bro-in-law has. Slippery inside and hard to set up and hard to pull if there is any snow.

------------------
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day; Teach a man to fish, and he will steal all your best spots!

Philo,
There's been lot's of discussions in the past regarding the clam and other houses.
I've been using one for 4 years now and it's still like new...and if you do ever need any misc parts or anything USL provides great customer service.
Here's a link to a thread from last winter
http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum30/HTML/001644.html