• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Older guys should be required to take safety class too!!!!!!

swedishpimple

When I was 14 I took the MN Snowmobile Operators Safety course. Many of my friends did this too.

Many snowmobile accidents involve you younger operators...but you know what.....many accidents happen to older operators too. Just because you are 50 and can afford to buy a sled does not mean that you have experience. Age should make you wiser...but alcohol reduces that wisdom too.

Snowmobiles should be like motorcycles in my opinion. If the State is going to require a license for some...they should require it for all.

I am 29 and have taken the course...my wife (then girlfriend) moved here for college from Southern MN...I made her take the Online course. It is not a big deal to take...but I feel all MN Snowmobile Operators should be on the same page.

You can send a guy to school, but you can't make them use their head. Common sense should be enough to know what's right and wrong when operating any motorized vehicle, but some people just don't think, no matter how much schooling that you give them.

I'd be happy if people, (of all ages) would simply learn hand signals and trail etiquette. Simple things, like signaling the number of people in their group, (not just think you are waving hello). Or maybe looking behind themselves once in a while if they are part of a bigger group or riding with beginners and traveling very slowly. I have no problem with going at a reasonable pace, but if a faster group comes up behind me I'll generally look for a spot where its safe and wave them by. How about when stopping to shoot the bull, make an adjustment or get a sip of pop, maybe pulling off the trail at a spot with good visibility for oncoming sleds so they dont have to do a quick stop to avoid you?

I've been riding sleds for over 35 years, just when I think I've seen it all stupidity-wise somebody does something even more ridiculous and you just have to shake your head and wonder!

I agree with Mcgyver55. The snowmobile safety class should be revamped and made into a snowmobile common sense class. Some of those questions on the test are irrelevant and will not do anything to make someone a safer rider. Handsignals, trail etiquette, excessive speed and alcohol, and emergency situations should be what is covered on that test. Not what year the DNR did this or that or make you try to remember how many feet you have to stop if you are going 65 mph!!!!! The test is a horrible preparation for safety and common sense, which is what you need on the trails. I am 28 years old and have been riding for a long time. After moving to MN and finding out that I needed to take the test to ride in MN, I ordered the cd and sat down to do it. I failed that test four times before I passed because I am not very good at remembering statistics and numbers and percentages. What does that teach me about safety and riding expectations???? Nothing!! It's all about common sense, being a responsible rider that is ready for any emergency circumstance, and staying away from intoxicating yourself while riding.

GoggleEye

My 11 year old son completed the Snowmobile Safety class early this winter. This wasn't an on-line class nor was the teacher a CD. Members of the Reservoir Riders Snowmobile Club were the instructors. Those members volunteer to teach this class. They did an excellent job, I know that because I sat through the classes with my son. Not one student failed the class.

They do talk about about high speeds, alcohol, emergencies, ethics, laws, safety and so forth.

ST, Yeah I am sure your son had a totally different experience with having actual instructors. My experience with the cd they send you in the mail and the test afterwards was not a good one......to say the least. The CD definitely needs a little reform, at least the test section does!!

GoggleEye

I agree that everyone that rides should take the course! I also believe that common sense plays the biggest factor. People who get certified need also use common sense or it does no good. You booze you loose! (Remember that too)

This year I started teaching the DNR snowmobile Safety class to kids, which I really enjoy. I have had a bunch of the parents sit through the class. They have a very positive responce, most of them saying...................what a great review that everyone should go through. I agree. But, there is always the few that no matter what go out violate everything I teach (not necessarily my students). For those, there is not much that those of us ethical rides can do. In my classes I STRESS that it is YOUR (my students) responsibility to ensure the future of the sport for my grandchildren and yours!!!! The jist of it is......................we can make everyone take the class, but there is always the select few that ignore the laws/ethics and make sledders look like ididots to everyone!!!!

Matt

I really think this law is age discrimination. For some reason people born after December 31 1976 are much more of a risk on the trails than somebody born before that date. A 33 year old must be wiser and safer than a 32 year old.

A 30 year old man or woman with a job and family paying their income, property and sales taxes are treated like a second class citizen based on nothing but age under the false pretence of "safety".

How would this fly if it was written all people from Hispanic or African decent must take the snowmobile safety course. Doesn't sound very good does it.

Plain and simple. the DNR wants all youngsters to have taken snowmobile, ATV, and firearm safety. This is meant to get those people started off knowing the laws, safety, and ethics in hopes that it sticks with them as they get older. So even though your 30 and just started the sport, your obligated to take the coarse. If your 30 and have been snowmobiling for a while and haven't taken the coarse you've done so illegally.

The date this went into effect is all it is, a date. It had to start at some point. So it shouldn't be a shock that if your born after a certain date you need to take the coarse.

Anyone born before that date is grandfathered in. Its been like this for how long? Should be a mute point by now.