• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opinion on 1992 Ski-doo Safari 2-up

Sandmannd

Hey kids,

I'm trading a laptop for a sled. I found this one that a guy is fixing up and I wanted some opinions from fellow FMer's on what you all think since this will be my first ever sled and don 't wanna screw up like I did with boats and have to go through three to find the one I actually like. I will be using this for ice fishing to pull my otter II and that's pretty much it.

Here's what he told me about it:

"It has a 377 rotax in it. They blew the clutch I'm installing a brand new Comet 108 EXP clutch and belt. I'm also putting in new plugs and stuff. it has hand and thumb warmers. It doesn' t have electric start. The motor is tight. It started and ran good but the rubber boots that hold the carbs to the motor were cracked, and eventually they would start leaking so I ordered a new set. If they suck in too much air it would lean out the fuel mixture to the engine and it would burn up. We are going through the whole sled and fixing any major mechanical issues so it should be a good runner for a long time for you. The track is worn but still has decent life left in it. The only two things that will be left is a split seam in the seat cover which it taped up, and it could use a belt guard, but neither are neccassary to run. It has a big windshield and long track, and it has alot of room on the the seat for two adults. It is also a 50th anniversary edition so is has a hood decal and some really sharp graphics. The skis were worn and have been repaired before I got the sled. The guy didnt do the best job on them and so they won't accept a standard wear rod. I was goin to tack weld a wear rod to each ski which will get you through the rest of the season just fine and by then I'll have found a better set of skis. Or, if you prefer to buy some plastic skis, I'll throw in 50$ towards them. Let me know what works for you."

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

So let me know what you all think. I really want a sled or wheeler, but I don't wanna get a piece of junk either. This one looks like it would be OK to me, but wanted opions of people that know sleds.

I have a lead on another sled as this one isn't read yet. Here's the scoop on it. Which one would you go for. More for ice fishing than anything but trails wouldn't be bad either.

1996 POLARIS ultra, triple, ONLY 2600 AND SOME CHANGE MILES ON IT. i GOT IT IN A BARTER, BUT HAVE LOST INTEREST IN IT. GOOD TRACK, AND AFTERMARKET SKI'S. FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN IT IS A BARGAIN. It was sitting since 2002. I HAVE IT REGISTERED TILL 2010, AND I WILL GIVE YOU THE TRAIL PASS I HAVE FOR SCOTT COUNTY, ALSO GOOD TILL 2010.

polaris1.jpg

polaris2.jpg

Shane, the only way to tell if a snowmobile is worth buying or trading for (in your case) is to actually go and look at it. Inspect it with a fine tooth comb. Look at the engine, track, the tunnel, the belly pan, hood, skis, etc, etc, etc. Look for general wear and tear on the seat, windshield, hood and that will tell you if the sled has been cared for or not. If it has a lot of scratches, cracks, dents, dings, etc., it's probably one to pass on. Make sure to look under the sled for any evidence of crashes or hitting stumps or large objects. If the hood has any cracks or major wear, that may be a good indication that it was rolled or crashed. Mileage I would look for is anything under 3000. Make sure the track is in good condition, if it is not that is a good $500 you will be sinking into the sled right away. Start it up and let it run for a good couple minutes. Look for jumpy idling and excessive smoking. Take it for a spin if possible and try to get it going a good 40 or 50 and see if it bogs down or hesitates to go any faster. If you are going to be using the sled for strictly ice fishing, I would consider a fan cooled over a liquid cooled, just my opinion. You'll probably want something with hand and thumb warmers too. Hope this helps.

GoggleEye