• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cold weather affect

gman2002

just wondering what you guys thimk about this cold weather coming over the weekend .thinking about going out on saturday .what kind of affect do you think the cold will have on the bite ? probably will hit the croix so i will be fishing 30 - 35 ft down

I don't think that the cold weather above the Ice will change the moods of the fish below. The Ice season is pretty steady as far as the effects of weather. Barometric pressure can change the mood of the fish as well as frontal movements. Typically fish will stabilize and get back to normal within a few days following a drastic change in fronts.

As a rule of thumb I just fish as often as I can and make excuses after I'm done if the fish don't bite. grin.gif

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

I have to agree with Corey, fronts and pressure will have the most drastic effect on fish this time of year. But COOOOOOLD weather usually comes in conjuction with one or both of the above so sometimes people blame the cold when it's not really the culprit. I have seen the crappies hugging bottom over the last few days where previously they were 4-10 feet off the bottom.

I just posted on another thread that the current barometric pressure reading I have here is 30.36 inches.A cold front and high pressure system we had move in a couple of weeks ago had pressure readings of almost 31.00 inches! The fish went into a major funk with the pressure reading that high.The barometer is starting to level off,and that is why the wind is also starting to die down.The fish will be affected somewhat right now,but not like in the recent past.We also have a full moon phase coming in the next few days, so fishing should be picking up somewhat,regardless of the weather.A guy has to go fishing when he has time,despite current weather conditions.Adjust your presentation to what the fish are doing, or not doing. I would say get out there and fish,but don't let a bit of cold weather stop a guy from going.

The Sunday a couple of weeks back when it hit 41 degrees,I was out, and the crappies were going absolutely nuts.The next day the cold front with the high pressure readings came in,and the fish went negative like overnight.I was not trying to downplay the weather on my earlier post,but putting a bit of perspective that it could be a lot worse.Fish gotta eat regardless if it's an air temperature of 20 below zero.

Best luck came in the shallow water. Had to stay put and sight fish for about every bite. Very finicky eaters. The deep water bite only produced tight-lipped fish... and only little ones at that. All of the better fish came in 7 feet or less and they would cruise through relatively slow. Black Nuggies tipped on a Black/Green size 10 Marmooska did the trick...

I went out for a little stint on Friday. I didn't want to go but wanted to see how the weather affected the fish that were very active a few day's prior. What I found was that the fish were active but didn't hit the same. You could get a lot of fish to chase the bait but after they closed in it had to be held still so they would take it.

All in all I C+R'ed about 25 Crappies but as the evening went on the fish disappated and I wasn't about to go chase after them. \:\/

Fishing is exciting because you never know how the fish are going to react to certain situations. The rewarding aspect is when you get some fish when conditions are tough.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Originally Posted By: Corey Bechtold

As a rule of thumb I just fish as often as I can and make excuses after I'm done if the fish don't bite. grin.gif

Ain't that the truth, if I don't do well I always just blame it on the weather/pressure/fronts