• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Women who Fish Hard Water!

Do you have a permanent? Where do you fish? We primarily move around alot on the ice and have portables. In fact, I believe I will be getting a new Otter Cabin this Saturday! Right now I have an older flipover style Fish Trap. She's seen better days!

Do either one of you gals fish from a resort? That's great since then there's no worries about weather/warmth! They take care of everything! We try to go up the Lake of the Woods at LEAST once a winter also but since I went back to college this past fall, I'm limited to only weekend trips.

We have a small group going to LOW the weekend after next out of Arneson's.

I have a small permanent and a couple of portables. At this stage I have to say I like the permanent much better. I have a cabin in the Aitkin area, that is where I have the permanent. Just got it out last weekend.

Oooo I'm so jealous of your LOW trip,icewoman. Sure wish I could make it up there this year! We usually go out with 4 other couples up to the NW Angle. Be sure to post back how you guys do! grin.gif

I think a perm has its positives! That whole potty issue is a little tricky in a portable! mad.gif Diana (i icefishinmy sleep) here on the forum is loving her perm out on Lake Bemidji and I'm sure she'll chime in here soon with her reports hopefully!

I like to move around alot in a day to keep the action going and to try to get my limit of whatever is biting (this yr has been SUPER slow for me). We have a cabin in the Deer River area and we fish a lot around there and Winnie-summer and winter.

Do you soft water fish also?

we run with portables for the day trips, but this weekend we are renting a sleeper on URL (Sun and Mon nights). We'll be fishing from portables on Fri and Sat though. We bring along a Mr. Heater when it's this cold to keep us thawed out.

What?? You gals are KILLING me! grin.gif

Teresa, what lake are you fishing on out of your portables? I use a Mr. Buddyheater too. Who are fishing out of on URL? They get booked up pretty fast don't they!? We are supposed to get up there next month for Slabfest.

Sorry for all the questions! I'm just so happy we have more icefishing ladies! I think there's a ton of us around but no one wants to chat about it. I do soft water fish too but get a real kick out of icefishing. It makes the winter fly by!

Portables on Lawrence and Roosevelt Friday, because we're staying at a friends cabin in Outing. Winnie Saturday and depending on what the bite is like, we may venture to Red with portables as well on Saturday . We can hardly wait to get there. We rent a house from Pat Foster (Club Red). They are "well used" if you get the drift, but we like Pat, and he's always put us on fish. There is a group of us gals that fish together year round. My buddy Cindy is the most gung-ho, I'm right behind her...and the others float in and out. We plan the times/places and the others come if they can. We fish Lake Carlos in the Summer when we can. We love the state park, and the resort/bait shop owners. I'm taking pictures this time and I'll share when we get back.

Ok. I know where Outing is. There is a Lawrence Lake on Scenic 7 northeast? of Gr. Rapids that we fished last winter for a fishing contest but that's pretty far from Outing so it's probably not the same lake. Our cabin is about 25 miles from Winnie. That is one well rounded trip tho! Please post a report and how you do! Pictures would be awesome!! I'll try to get some pics in here after the Burntside Bash on Burntside Lake in Ely on the 26th too so I can show off my new portable. I'm so pumped! I've always had the hand me downs! Yay me! \:D

I soft water fish as well but my love is with hard water fishing. An hour out in the house is worth a years therapy. I will have to admit I have gotten lazy since I got my permanent but it does encourage company now when before it was pretty much on my own. I love to sit back in the house with a good book, put down the rattle reels and watch the underwater camera. The lake I put the permanent out on is not a good lake to run around on, to many springs.

Wow - I leave the computer for a few hours and a whole new clan is born. :D. This is awesome Ladies.

I love ice fishing. I' not a heat gal. And like one of you said, a few hrs in my shack is worth a year of therapy. Also having a wheeler, compared to a kayak for summer fishing, makes me much more mobile. Also less people and NO bugs. \:D

I'm also the hole hopping kind. Love my fish trap pro. My fishing buddy has one also, so if we find a hot spot we can zipper the two together.

How do you all get around on the ice? Sleds, wheelers, legs \:o ?

This is great. I love talking hard water fishing with a group of women. I have fished Roosevelt in the soft water season with the group Women for Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife during an all woman's tournament. I remember it was a fun lake to fish. Have not fished it in the hard water season. I would like to explore the lakes around the Aitkin area in the winter, maybe fish the mine pits.

my mode of transportation......ice cleats. I am just biting at the bit this morning...it's snowing, cold, and my poles are cleaned and rigged...we're leaving tonight and will be on ice by sun up. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You women who are old hands at ice fishing bring out the little green-eyed gremlin in me.

I'm just getting started. Went fishing with family at LOW last Feb and the first time the bobber went down, I was hooked (along with the poor fish that came up the hole). I have my rods/reels, jigs, chubby darters, weasels and assorted lures and a pail.

(Lisa, I really love to shop for lures too.)

Borrowed a friends auger last weekend and drilled a few holes for my daughter and a friend and we all sat out on the lake on our pails. No luck, but it was fun to get out. I'm thinking I'd better be extra good this year. There's already visions of portables and gas augers dancing in my head....

Good morning girls!

teresa-I know how you feel! Next weekend we're fishing for lakers at the Burntside Bash in Ely and I'm super excited for that! Steve Foss has this great inland laker tips post going over there in the BWCA forum and I can't stop reading it! And the fact that I get my new portable in a couple of days! The ANTICIPATION is really KILLING me! Have fun, catch tons and don't freeze any parts off! grin.gif

Tami-FELLOW MARCUM GIRL???? SWEET! I have an LX3.

Denise-Tami's right-if you want to step it up a notch, a flasher is a must. It just simply helps catch more fish. You can go and read the Marcum vs. Vexilar debates in the ice fishing forum for DAYS (it's such a battle)! And if you want to get out more often a shelter is really nice. It all depends on how much money you want to invest! I've had my hubby's hand me downs for many years and just now starting to get my own gear. Not sure if you needed advice, but there you go! eek.gif I am absolutely in LOVE with Chubby Darters! They are just so darn CHUBBY. I like fat little things-like chickadees and babies. Too much info??? sick.gif\:D

I have to say that a serious chunk of my disposable income goes for icefishing paraphenalia. My neighbor and fishing partner is always wanting me to get into spearing and I keep telling him I can NOT squeeze that much more out of my ice fishing budget to accomodate spearing \:\) Each year there seems to some new item that I just HAVE to get. This year I really wanted the new color Marcum.....I did resist but it was hard, maybe they will be cheaper next year.

I hear ya icewoman-great name by the way! I really want an underwater camera! I keep reading all the good points about them in the ice fishing forum and I am having a hard time resisting that purchase! A better portable for me this year is a NECESSITY. Underwater cameras are NOT. Bass N Spear here on the forum has such a great bunch of people over there chatting spearing up and the pictures are SO cool. Did you go look yet? The link is Right Here! You could just take a little peek!? \:D

Tami-FELLOW MarCum GIRL???? SWEET! I have an LX3.

I've got the LX3 also. grin.gif LOVE it!!!!

Hey can't wait to see the new portable. What kind again? And you guys have snowmobiles right?

The BBash is going to be great !!!! \:D I love caravans, I may have to try now and get up there Thurs night, to join in the fun that early fri. morning. I'm not a morning person either, but for fishing and a good cup of coffee, I've been seeing alot of early mornings lately sleep.gif