• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Floating Rat Set

I built a handful of floating sets and am running a small line while the temps are pretty mild and after 6 days i have yet to connect on any rats. I haven't baited any of them because from the article i read it sounds like every passing rat will just jump up on it to eat,[PoorWordUsage] or just hang out. I've caught alot of rats over the years on pocket and blind sets in this stretch of water so there is a good supply of em. Something new im trying out and any tips would be helpful. Thank you

I think Leech is right about earlier in the season. I ran some float sets on a local lake a number of years ago and did very well. Tried it again last year and did poor. Only differance was cold temps and shore ice. Plenty of rats around because I could see them sitting along the shore ice. Seem like with all that ice to sit on they had no interest in the floats.

I think you did the smart thing. Next year earlier in the season,try the floats. You may also want to try setting any little point where the rats show sign of crawling up on. Make sure you try the spearmint or wintergreen extract. Just dip a little stick or piece of cattail stem into the bottle and stick it in the mud, behind the trap. You will be amazed. Let me know how you do.

Leech