• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sportsman idle issue( please Help!)

realtower

I have a 2004 sportsman 600 and today when I came home from ice fishing The atv was stuck in high idle. In gear it drives like the trottle is pushed a little. What can I do to fix it. There is no ice build up and just to be safe it is in the garage with the heat on.

I had idle issues with my 04 700. What I did (and was advised to do - Thanks Dave!)...there is an adjustment on the throttle cable right below where it comes out of the trigger on the handle bar. Its a black fitting with a rubber case over it. slide the rubber casing off and you can tighten or loosen it. Mine had worked loose and just needed to be adjusted. If it kills, its because there is a shut-off in the throttle trigger when the idle gets too low. If that happens, turn it down as low as you can before it kills, then look at the left side of the carb, there is a fairly large adjustment screw under it. This will also adjust the idle. Turn it so it idles nice (this takes the slack out of the throttle cable so it won't kill). This is what worked for me. Hope it helps.

ERW

I just figured that out last night out on Waconia. The bite was so slow my buddy and I decided to figure out why my 500 wouldn't stay running acting like a "cold S.O.B.". We found the same thing, the adjustor under the cable protector. Worked like a charm! Ah yes, one more thing I learned about my wheeler.