• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris 500

MNUser

Here is one for all you motor heads. I'm not very mechanical at all.

I have a '99 and the head light keeps flickering from full brightness to dim and when it goes dim, the tail light goes out completely. It will come back to full brightness and the taillight will come back on and then it will go back to dim and no taillight. It seems to me to be a grounding issue but I can't find it.

Anybody experience the same before? And if so, where did you find the problem? I have traced back wires from the handle bars and wiggled things back and forth and nothing seems to work. The RPMs don't change anything either.

Any help would be great. It is killing me trying to find it. Is there anybody on this board that lives in Brainerd and does some snowmobile trouble shooting?

Thanks for the help!

Check connections first, which it seems as if you have done. The only other suggestion I can think of that is easy is the voltage regulator. There may be a loose ground there. It is a rectangular box that is located above the right foot stirrup. There should be a 3/8" nut that is grounded. Check that after you have checked all the connections. The voltage regulator itself could be bad, but then it will usually blow bulbs. The other problem it could be is your stator, which is a little more involved.

Sounds more like a pinched or worn wire going to the tail light that is grounding out. I don't believe the tail light has a fuse, so anytime it is grounded out before the tail light it will go out and dim everything else. Its not uncommon for them to wear where they run under the seat. Start at the tail light and work your way forward. Its easier than digging through the harness in front to find the right wire.