• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

02 500 Artic Cat, only gets Higher RPM's with hand choke..

Shawnny B

ALright so I went across the lake, came back and while on my way up the hill, it started to back fire and sounded like she was going to die due to too much gas. I managed to limp home and get her in the garage. I took the air filter off and found that it was bad, I think( update, replaced air filter still does the same thing UGHH) , I could hold my hand gently over the cover where the filter went and I could reve the motor no problem, get my hand off and it would get bogged down, put the filter on and it would get bogged down, I checked the primer lever and that is up all the way so I dont think its getting to much gas. It was a fresh tank too.

Any suggestions would greatly help

Thanks

ShawnnyB

ShawnnyB

By holding your hand over the intake your richening the mix, just like when you choke your machine. So with your hand not in place over the intak your machine runns ruff... Its running to lean. You have to be getting air into the system some place. I would all my vacume hoses, and downstream from your carb, odds are are sucking air in that way. If you can't find anything obvious, let the machine run while holding your hand over the intake, then take a can of carb cleaner and spray around the carb, intake manifold, vacume hoses ect, if there is a leak your engine will reve up when it sucks in the carb cleaner.

Thank you very much for the suggestion as soon as I get off work I might ahve to give that a shot !

WEll, I got home, gave it a shot, it didnt rev up, but if i hit the gas it ran fine....I took her out and it ran ok for a few minutes and then started to act up again...Im assuming air leak this time and will try and watch where I spray next....

ShawnnyB

My guess would be that you have a plugged jet in your carb. Take it apart and clean it out good. With the ethanol in our gas you can't leave it for more than about a month without using it up or it starts to turn to dump. I bet there is dump in the float bowl. Make sure you clean it good and soak all the jets in carb cleaner and blow them out with compressed air.