• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Switchback vs Arctic Cat Crossfire 8

bmeier

I am looking for a new sled to use primarily for getting into some remote lakes in No.Mn and Ontario ice fishing, plus some trail riding as well. In talking with folks and looking at some dealers I think I have narroweed it down to these two sleds.

I was wondering what folks thought of them and if there are any other reccomendations for what I am looking to do.

Thanks for your help!!

I can't really comment on the two sled types, but I hope you are planning on going into these remote areas with a partner. With the numerous problems that arise with sleds, I would hate to see you get stranded in a remote area during sub-zero temps. I wish they were bullet-proof because I want to do the same thing you are speaking of but I can never find someone to go with. I just could never risk it by myself though. Blew my stator out once and was by myself.....god did that suck. Good luck on your purchase!

GoggleEye

bmeier,

These seem like odd choices for a backcountry sled with some trail riding. I own a polaris widetrak and it will go through anything. I also spent the last two weekend trail riding with some friends on there sabercats etc, and I was the one leading 95% on the time. Of course they could leave me in the dust on long straightaways but I am more interested in not getting stranded out on Mille Lacs at night in 20 below.

They are both hybrids meaning they are are cross of mountain and trail sleds. A wide track would be good as well. What i need is a machine with a long/wide track that can get me to where I need to go off trail and also that has good towing capacity and will be comfortable on the trails as well. I think the 08 swichback is where I am heading with fuel injection. It has a 136 inch track compared to the 07's 144 which might be a tad to long. Iam also looking at a 600 rather than anything larger since I dont really need aything more than that.

Do you hav any other suggestions?

Both would work great for what you want to do. I do know that Arctic Cat has a real solid hitch for the Crossfire that will easily pull you fish house. I have a Firecat 600 and a 700 and they start very easy with the EFI. The problem I have with the Polaris is that it's a Polaris!!

Either sled will get you anywhere you need to go. I had a first year Crossfire 700 that was out in the mountains several times. It did great in any snow that wasn't 5' deep. For anything around here you'll have a blast. All the Cat motors (600, 700, 800) are bulletproof and the basic design has been out for at least 6 model years now.

I have a '06 Crossfire 700. This will be my 3rd winter with it. When this sled came out this was the one I wanted being it was a hybrid, i do some trail riding, lotsa lake riding and thought that would be perfect. Only thing I wish it had was reverse and it is very tempting since i live less than 3 blocks from the Cat dealer. My in laws have his and hers '07 Switchback 600's. Not sure if all switckbacks come with 1.5 inch lug track but that is what they got on both sleds. We swap sleds once in awhile when we are out and about, nice sleds but a little taller windshield would be nice and I didnt care for the narrower seat from what I am used to. I dont think i would go any more than 1.25 inch lugs which the Crossfire has. Sounds like a matter of what you choose and either sled will do you fine. Good luck sled shopping! B-dude

I just got to ride my friends brand new 2006 carry over Polaris FST switchback. I rode it while we were riding in the U.P. this last weekend. Man, what a machine. Electric start, reverse and 4 stroke. Great sled for trail riding. The machine also got 15-16 MPG's, killing us with 2 strokes. I am sure it gets better, but we were hammering down the trails. The best part, he just bought it and it was only $5400. Great deal for a brand new sled. Polaris has curved rails on the switchbacks so it will handle like a short track on flat trails, which it did. I can not comment on the Arctic Cat. I think the switchback would be a perfect machine for back country treks, although you have to rely on the battery for starting, running fuel pump and for the intercooler fan.