• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A 17mm vs 28mm comparison experiment.

Paul

I have seen the question come up by quite a few people looking to buy lenses and one question I see is people asking about the 28mm-xxmm Canon lense. I have one of those. I did not like the fact that I had no wide to work with so I bought a efs 17-85. Last Friday after I got done setting up a mid winter formal High School dance I thought I would take a pic with each lense from a fixed location. As you can see from the photo I was on HS gym floor. Each end was just past the 3 point line to give an idea of how many feet it was across. Now Mounted camera to Tripod and set lens at 17mm, from here I walked backwards till I had the entire system in the viewfinder. I took the first shot. I then changed lenses to the 28-80 and took another shot at 28mm. You can clearly see how much is lost. I did not move the tripod at all. I tired to back up and get the whole system inside the 28mm but I ran into the wall on the other end so I could not get a comparison that way. Anyway here are my results. Oh ya I was set up just past mid court inbetween half court and 3 point line. Gear on other end was set up on out of bounds line.

17mm

pictakenontriodat17mm.jpg

Same shot with 28mm Focal lenth lense.

imageontripodwith28mmlense.jpg

Ouch, thems almost fighting words.... LOL...I only work there. so I am not quite the illustrious "Dude", though one might say having over 11 years in with the company does pose some sort of ownership in a sense. Guess I could have PS the banner out but then it would have looked pretty dumb.

Ya well If I can make it a couple of weeks. Something has happenend to my Dog Kennel and I can't find a place for my pootches. If I can drag them along to my brothers for the weekend then life is good, if not I will miss out and end up shooting turkeys in the sandhills I guess. Wouldn't be so bad if I hadn;t allready rented glass, though I suppose I could post pone it till the next time. It just sucks that his had to happen at the last minute for me. ONe way or another I will make it I hope.

Hemi,

No problem, I was having the same argument in my head, which one to go with. I have been really happy with the 17-xxmm. For a couple of hundred more you could get the 17-40L which is popular with some posters here. I looked at that several times before decided to save a little change and get the larger zoom option.