• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jigging spoon modifications?

CrappieAttitude

I have done some reading and was wondering if anyone has experimented with adding a length of leader to dangle the treble hook a little further away from the spoon.

From what I have heard is that by doing so it gets the bait closer to fishes mouth after they have been attracted by the flash of the spoon. Have anyone tried this technique? I have heard that even a 2 in leader will get the job done.

I definately see the logic behind this, but haven't tried it yet.

CA

I use this a lot for perch, but I don't tie a treble to the dropper leader... I use a small sunfish type jig. The spoon adds flash and also allows you to get a small jig down deep in a hurry. It allows you to get a light jig to fish "heavy". I've never tried it for Sunfish or Crappies though. Good luck. grin.gif

I wont put the treble back on when i do this, i will just put a plain hook. Hali actually makes chain link droppers for this purpose, and i use those on some of my rigs. but on a lot of them i will just tie some fluoro in varying lengths depending on how fickle the fish are on that day. This can be very effective when fishing very deep finicky crappies. use a very large jigging spoon, 3-6 inches of fluoro and then a small hook with a small crappie minnow, the flash attracts them and the struggling minnow gets them to commit. a waxie or eurolarvae works equally as well.

It seems I fish a lot of post "hot bite periods" when everybody is leaving the lake. The dropper rig has bcome a staple for me. Hali chains dropped off a Demon, Frostee, or Forage Minnow spoon works great. Hali makes a few different products. Short chains, long chains, ones with plain hooks and some have colored glow plastic on the hook or just a chain without the hook. I've had the most success using the long hooked chains with or without the glow plastic. For technique a slow drop down to the fish. Then start in with the "shake" as you slowly raise and lower the the jig. The shaking allows the spoon to jump up and down while the bait dances underneath. If you get a fish to come up continue shaking as you raise the rod until the fish bites. I rairly bring live bait so I like to tip with Gulp maggots, waxies, or the new spikes.

Ditto on using this rig for perch.It works well for searching out deeper water on big flats.I usually tie on a short piece of florocarbon for a leader.Kastmaster spoons, with the treble removed, have worked well for this.Bigger bluegills will hit this rig,especially when they are suspending over deeper water,and are on the chew.

I sometimes like to use an empty spoon for a weight, it flutters and it still goes down. As for mods, I sometimes like to tie a hook on with mono or fireline so I don't have that ring and it's a little more distance. It helps to telegraph a bite and the hook set can be a lot smoother or just reel in fast. The problem is multiple lure in the same compartment can get tied up really easy. I might have to mod a fly box with foam to hold the lure's in place.

I've been thinking about getting some heavy mono so I can offset my lure with two single hooks like a butterfly lure.