• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris clutch doesn't fully disengage

Walterwontfalter

I have a 95 Polaris XLT Special and with the track up on a stand I engage the track and when the machine returns to idle the clutch is still engaged. I looked at the shaft of the primary and it seems to be sticking about 1/2 inch in from the end for a while. If I hit the brake it kills the engine. any ideas on how to fix this? Am I going to have to buy a new clutch?

Give the clutch a good cleaning and normally what will cause this is the bushing in the cover is shot. All you need to do is take out the 7/16 bolts in the cover, remove it and replace the bushing in the cover and it should work alot better. If a person let's it go with a bad cover bushing it can wear the melanite coating off of the shaft which causes the bushing to drag even more and wear out faster yet. grin.gif

If your clutches have never been rebuilt do yourself a favor and get it done. I do it every year and never had a problem. Its either dirty and/or bushing issue. Mayber your spring is broke. Could be a button issue too. There arent many things that can cause this but any one of them will do it.