• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

In case you missed it

DTro

I came across this article in the Strib the other day.

Figured you guys and gals might be interested.

This town's location in the Minnesota River Valley southwest of the Twin Cities is becoming a center for birdwatching.

And the owners of Henderson's newest storefront enterprise, a one-stop birding information center, hope to attract visitors from near and far.

"This area attracts a huge number of migrating waterfowl, but nobody knows about it, so we decided to tell the world about it," said Dolores Hagen, who opened Henderson Feathers in a historic building she owns on the town's Main Street.

The birding information center, which offers prime viewing spots and advice on birding activities in the valley, is a joint venture with the Henderson Chamber of Commerce. The lobby of the center displays local merchants' wares.

Henderson's main birding attraction is the bald eagle, but the area also attracts 17 varieties of ducks in the spring, Hagen said.

Eagles often go to nearby Buck's Lake in late winter to find fish trapped in the ice, said local birding buff Art Straub.

"We've counted as many as 72 in late February, early April," Straub said.

"It's just great," Hagen said of the eagle watching. "They're right in your face _ in tree branches above your head."

Went to the cities today, so I stopped in on the way back. Believe me, it's not easy to find. I stopped at the gas station and they sent me east of town to the nature center. A young dude at a t-shirt shop across the street, pointed out the place for me. In case anybody plans on stopping, it's in a large brick building just east of the court house and playground, on the north side of the road. There is no sign on the building. It's housed with another business.

I walked in and a lady asked if she could help me. I told her I had heard about this place online, and just wanted to check it out. She said OK and then disappeared. I picked up some literature listing the bird species and some that shows the dates for the preceding 2 years, listing when individual species were first reported in the area, and registered to be notified when the eagles start migrating in late winter/early spring. Other than that, I wouldn't go out of my way to stop there. The literature would be helpful for anybody planning a birding trip to the area, however.