• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowmobile Help

9joey1

I just purchased a 1995 Polaris Touring 2up. It has 1,500 miles on it. It has evidently just been sitting on a farm the past few seasons. Let me explain something. I know nothing about snowmobiles/ being handy about this. I just wanted a sled to use fo ice fishing that would start etc. I tried it last weekend and here is the problem. It started right up but everytime I turned it off, it would not start again unless I left it alone for at least 30 minutes. Then it would start when I choked it on the 2nd pull, I would use it. I would then try to start it again and it would not start. Any ideas on what to do? I put about 5 gallons of fresh gas in it and oil as well. Should I get some gum out and let it just run for a while? Thanks for any help, Joe

Joe, clean and sync the carbs. After sitting for awhile I am sure there is a nice build up of green junk in the pilot jet, main jet, bowl and needle/seat. New plugs for sure. If you do not know how to do it, I would suggest getting a shop manual or you can bring it to a small engine mechanic to thoroughly check over. There is really not much to the snowmobile carbs, I learned just by ripping in to them. Also check to see if the needles are not sticking and the seat is not grooved, this could be causing excess fuel to dump in. The thing about older machines is you have to work on them about as much as you ride them. At least in my experience. The carbs are a good place to start. Good Luck!

Use the choke when its cold. Don't choke it if its warm or you'll flood it. If you flood it(if you don't know, pull a plug to find out) give no choke and hold the throttle wide open as you pull. One more thing the choke has 3 positions full, half choke and off. When its flipped over its full, when its sticking straight out its half. If its very cold you full choke and then after it starts, half choke till it warms up enough to run with choke off. When you get it to run with choke off it still needs more time to warm up or you'll notice a bog.

What trackerbrent suggested is good info. I don't think its your problem right now but a sled that sits that long could have some restriction in the jets from crud. What I'd like to find out is if your carbs inlet valve is leaking and flooding the engine. I think it may just be that you need to get a feel for how this sled wants to be started.

I had a couple 96 XLT's that were notorious for this. The only thing that would fix it is viton tipped inlet needles. I got them from DK in rush city. If you do this, you need to know the size, just pull the carbs, flip them over and pull the bowls. The inlet is attached to the float with a little wire clip. The size is stamped on the seat which is threaded into the carb body. Most likely, you only need to replace the needle, not the seat if using the viton inlets.

FLaker