• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My first birdies with Canon

I decided to brave the cold today,(not cold for your northerners, of course), and venture outdoors with my camera. I drove to the state park and decided to go on a hike. I was plenty warm enough, but I'm a bit out of shape. After 15 minutes of walking uphill, I decided the heck with it. I probably wouldn't see anything anyway. I was all tuckered out. Coming back down wasn't bad. smirk.gif Instead, I went back to the ranger station to try my hand at the birds again. There were plenty of chickadees, a couple downys, and a few nuthatches. Getting them to pose in front of instead of behind the branches, isn't easy. Plus, they seem to sit still for about 1 1/2 seconds. They just don't cooperate. I spent about 1/2 hour back there, and when my fingers started losing all feeling, except pain, I decided that was enough.

These are my best chickadee photos, thus far. They were all shot handheld at ISO 400, either 1/1000 or 1/1250 sec., aperture of 7.1 and -1/3 EC. The one in the snow should have been compensated more, of course, but I knew by the time I made the adjustment, he'd be gone. So, that one didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. I have to reread on how to set the camera to bracket. crazy.gif

2098616667_4093aeb184_o.jpg

2098604123_2009ed7399_o.jpg

2099383046_87092006ec_o.jpg

X, I actually like the pose in the snow the best. Have been waiting to see what you could come up with after you got your new gear. Lookin' good! I'm still getting some pointers from the big boys on exposure with these up close songbird shots, but I think you're well on your way. Nice shots! smile.gifsmile.gif

Good ones, XT. How many times do chickadees save the day? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Like Ken, I think the snow comp is the best one. Judging by the sharpness of the bird/seeds, it looks like your focus grabbed the bird's tail or back part of the wings, because the seeds there are quite sharp but the head is just a touch soft. Even at f8 or f11, when you're that close to a bird at 400mm, depth of focus is VERY thin. Little suckers move altogether too fast, don't they? grin.gif

You did well in tough (cold) conditions. It's a mighty good start! cool.gif

Thanks guys.

Steve, I agree 100% with your observation. I tried to shoot before he moved and didn't get the focus on the right spot. Yeah, they move much too fast.

However, I will be going back and I will be prepared for this particular shot. You just wait and see. smirk.gif

Great shots X. I seem to have lost my birds lately. They quit coming to my feeders and haven't touched the suet I put out. I was hoping to get out and get some shots too but it looks like I'll be waiting.

Thanks for sharing and by your pictures it sure seems like you've had that new camera for quite a while. You look like you have a good handle on it!

Mike