• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter Birds

finnbay

Spent half an hour in the blind today. Nothing spectacular but had quite a few at the feeder. My background balsams have a lot of snow on them, and that presented some problems with exposure. Steve, I can see why a dark background is a better canvas.

Dchick-1.jpg

C-chick-2.jpg

Nuthatch.jpg

Gros-1.jpg

Gros-2.jpg

Looks like it was worthwhile spending time in the blind, they do look a bit soft, might just be the resizing from the web because I know that 300 is killer. Have you thought about a weak shot from your flash to get some catch lights and definition in the blacks? Just enough to not get a flashed look. I think these overcast days are perfect for flash work.

Manual.. power on about 1/16th to start and play from there. If you do use TTL flash remember that black subjects take less flash and white subjects take more so you can ride your FEC appropriately. I would like to see what it does for these, I think it might give them some additional pop. I really like the darker backgrounds with the lighter birds, makes them stand out. Just shoot manual and don't worry about that meter messing up your good shots. grin.gifgrin.gif