• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish Cribs

I've heard about red lakes crappies cribs, but I never knew what they were. I have never fished URL and I'm not speaking of URL only. I never knew that such structures existed. Here I thought I knew everything about everything and hear people talking about these cribs. Are they put in by the dnr, or do people get permits? I assume they are put out to protect introduced fish?

I know of a few people that own lake shore property that drop cribs in the water near their land to attract fish. A lot of people use a group of tires that are tied up, old x-mas trees, man made cribs out of wood, or stumps. I've seen fishermen take old x-mas trees out to their ice houses and set them out in the snow and then when the ice melts they fall to the bottom of the lake and provide structure for fish. I once witnessed a man that rolled an old broken down dock into the water to attract fish so his kids good catch fish from shore. Whether its legal or not I don't know, but I know a lot of people do it.

Good Fishin, Matt.

MJ5, I hate to tell you this but, everything you just listed is illegal. I know people that drop trees and stuff down, but I'm more interested in the legal aspects of fish cribs, what type of permits and such are necessary. What types of fisheries are they dropped into. Do other states do it more than others?

I agree with you bobbersgone, I'm not a big fan of dropping anything in the lake. I once watched a fishing show on TV that showed the audience how to build your own crib out of tires. No intention to start polluting just answering a question. Glad to see the concern though.

Good Fishin, Matt.

I like the x-mas trees for panfish, have never tried to find out info on this subject but I am sure it would take an act of congress. I think there is enough structure in your lakes for the fish I think it would be cheating a little and if the dnr would publish the info you would never get to fish it yourself, everyone else would be there. I know they work watching them being put into southern ponds along with arriators and feeding stations but I am sure they are privite.

One of the thinks the DNR maybe worried about is, If you turn everyone loose putting thinks i the lake, how do you control all the well wishers?
Maybe if a permit was need, you listed what you where using and listed a GPS mark where it was. This could help keep everyone from putting things all in the same place.
I too would like to see a little under the ice for the bait fish to hide in.
racer

I was just out checking the DNR site to find the rules on placing cribs in the water. I can't find anything but I have always been under the assumption that it is illegal. At any rate, if your going to do this, please don't use old tires or anything else that pollutes the water. In fact, just say no. In URL the DNR gave special compensation to use cribs to help control the crappie population. These cribs were not placed in the lake illegally.

[This message has been edited by Kidd (edited 01-19-2003).]

You need a permit from the DNR to put Cribs in any lake. The DNR will give you GPS corrds on where to place them.

At present there are, I believe 120 cribs in URL. There are comprised of logs made into a sort of log cabin with brush stuffed in them. Approx 10 x 10 and 8 feet high.

------------------
Paul
[email protected]

Bigguns, from what i have read over the past two years, it is the local sportsman club and volunteers along with the resorts and fisher people who do the work in the crib placement on URL. Go to the URL site and go back in the archives and read through the past threads and you will find out about all of this. Also click on to Waskish Minnow Station (top of page on URL site)scroll down and click on to the pics and you will see some photo's of the work they have done. Check out this thread on one of the crib building that took place last spring.
http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum23/HTML/001350.html
While on the Waskish Minnow Station site check out the many links on the bottom of the page to read about the URL ASN. and URL in general.

From my understanding the DNR will only issue a permit if there is inadequette structure. They will also issue a permit if the want to increase harvest on a particular lake. This may also vary from region to region.
Make sure you do have a permit because many people will turn you in a heartbeat if they find out you placed one of these in a lake. To many people anything put in the lake is pollution.

Is it true if you fish near a crib on URL you will be harassed? I have heard people shun this practice.

You only get harrassed on URL after you get to the bar. grin.gif

Seriously, the DNR does permit cribs, and I believe has recommended designs available. If you are interested in cribs (we have a lake cabin near Bemidji, and I checked several years ago), pick up the phone, call your nearest DNR office and ask. That's all I did. Of course, regs can change, and this was 10 years ago or better.

so who does it? Dnr or others? From what I hear you get a permit and put the crib in a designated spot? What determines whether or not cribs can be put in a lake?