• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What size fish should I keep???

stoneeyes317

I have noticed that some(many) users have issues with others that keep large fish, relatively speaking. I have a serious question, one that I have been contemplating for a while, and I would like some of your honest opinions, and/or information. I am making a trip to URL in the morning, staying @ the Drake Motel. When/if we catch some crappie, it would seem that we can keep any large fish that we want. From the reports on the Drake message board, a lot of crappies in the 1.2-1.6 lb. range are being kept. The DNR regs say these fish are in the 11"-13" range.

Now, I have fished 2 lakes, 1 in Ottertail county, and 1 here where I live, near Faribault, where the crappies I've caught all fall between 9"-13". I've nevertaken a lot of these fish, usually 6 or 8, enough for the future wife and I to have a meal or two; however, once we took home 18 between the two of us.

My question is this: if these are the only sized fish we are able(fortunate) to catch, are we in ANY way hurting either of these fisheries by keeping these fish?? The Ottertail lake is at least 2,000 acres, and the one near Faribault is over 700, if this matters.

Again, let me state that I am looking for opinions, as well as information. I understand that this may well come in the form of constructive criticism, and that is fine with me, but PLEASE be gentle. I have seen how tough some of the comments can be, and I don't want to be starting a "war of words".

Thank you to all who reply, I will look in again before we leave(about 8:00) and then again after we get back Thursday...

eyes317

Hello stoneeyes, I would'nt take a lot of the comments to serious if I were you. I think you ought to go for the gold on crappies of that size. I think if you take fish, it actually manages the spiecies. I would say if you are with in the legal means of taking them go ahead. It helpes the balance and actually improves fishing for others to enjoy.good <{{{{{<ing

Go ahead and keep what ever you want on Red, the crappie explosion is a direct result of the depletion of walleye from red and the crappie you are catching now are from a year class that will soon die of old age. If you are concerned about helping the crappie population on red let the smaller ones go.

I guess I might not have been too clear on what I was asking, so I will try to elaborate: will keeping crappies this size (9"-13") hurt either of the other lakes, especially my "home" lake. I have come to realize that URL is a different fishery, at least right now.

I have a follow-up question, for those that think it is wrong for me to keep these fish: what size would then be acceptable for me to keep??

Thanks again...

eyes317

Stone,

If you want a meal and don't get any good eating fish, don't feel guilty taking home a few bigger ones. In most lakes letting the bigger ones go will help the lakes out. Fish grow quickly until they hit sexual maturity. When they are sexually mature they spend more energy on spawning habits and less on growing. If there is a population of large spawning fish in the lake the smaller fish will have to grow bigger to compete with the bigger fish for prime spawning grounds. By having to grow bigger to spawn, they will grow to a respectable size faster. If the lake has smaller fish spawning, the upcoming year classes will hit maturity faster and will thus grow slower. You can then have thousands of small fish spawning instead of primarily bigger fish.

Also if you weed out some of the smaller fish, that allows more food for the others and you have a healthier population. More food for the other fish will help them grow faster as well.

Grinch...yes, taking fish helps manage a fishery, but the right fish have to be taken out. When there is an abundance of small fish, some of them should be taken out so the others can get bigger.

Yes, Red is a completely different fishery.

The 9-11" fish are respectable fish to take home and taste good as well. I personally would let the 12+ go if you can get enough 9-11" fish. In dirtier lakes the bigger fish can start to taste like mud. To compensate for this people will fry the fish in smaller chuncks.

[This message has been edited by fishstix1 (edited 01-19-2003).]

In some of the lakes I fish its hard to catch a 13 inch crappie but the 6-8 inchers are everywhere. I typically let the larger crappies (11-13 inches) go and keep the smaller ones (7-10 inches). These are lakes where larger crappies are less abundant though. If I was fishing a lake where the average crappie was 10-12 inches then I'd keep a few larger fish. It all depends on the lake and the abundancy of the size of fish. A lake full of 12 inchers won't be damaged by the taking of a few 12 inchers. But a lake that only contains a limited supply of 12 inchers might have a different effect if 50 or so are taken out by different anglers. I have witnessed lakes in the past that have stable populations of 10-12 inchers maintain their populations even after numerous fish have been taken out. I've also noticed lakes where populations declined and lakes get fished out, but these lakes are typically the smaller lakes that where once "secret" lakes which one day explode with fishing pressure. Larger lakes like the 2,000 acre lake should sustain these harvests off larger fish if those sizes (10-13 inchers) are abundant.

All in all, I think that a selective harvest should be applied when needed. LOW is a lake where a selective harvest would play less then on a lake of 200 acres in size. A few larger fish shouldn't hurt a lake. Just use your best judgement. I personally like the 7-10 inchers better then the larger crappies on the table, but thats just my personal opinion. But, if I'm pulling up 12-13 inches one after another I'll probably keep a couple.

When in doubt, take a picture of the 13 inchers and bring home the smaller ones. After the meal is over you'll forget about them anyway but the fishery will still be there.

Good Fishin, Matt.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but the attitude that grinched expresses is a misleading and misinformed one (IMHO). Because the law allows something does not necessarily make it ethical or right. Also, apply more stringent rules to oneself than the law does implies concern, caring, and a true sportsman. Keeping all that the law allows despite not needing it all is an archiac practice that really sucks!
The answer to your question can be summed up on one word- moderation. Keep a few of the nice fish you're asking about (11-13) and put the rest back. Put back all of the bigger fish (13+) unless you've decided you're truely looking for a wall-hanger. If you really want a wall-hanger and you're a sportsman, take pictures and measurements, put the fish back, and have a replica made.

I agree that URL is an extreme example and one in which the rules don't apply. I don't have a problem with people keeping a limit of crappie out of there because they'll likely die of old age if they're put back (according to the DNR). However, to apply this reasoning to virtually any other lake is foolhardy.

Forget the rules and regs- do the above because it's the right thing to do. Moderation for medium to nice size fish, put the little ones and big ones back. Pretty simple.
Scoot

Taking a meal of fish here or there is fine. On your 700 acre lake the concern would come from early ice or late ice when the lake is really hot and there are numbers of people taking their limit everyday or some people taking a couple of limits a day. Over a stretch of a couple weeks. It can and will happen, on a lake by my place the crappies hit good for a couple of years now you will rarely find one. The books say there is a five year cycle on crappies and if the spwaners are taken out it could take 10 years to recover.

Like I said a few meals of fish are okay try fishing for different species taking a couple of each kind most lakes all have walleye, crappie, gills, northern, bass.
You will become a better fisherman and help the fishery.

Like the guys said before each lake is different a little commenscience is all it takes. I am off my soapbox know.

GOODLUCK ENJOY YOUR MEAL THE FISH ARE BITING