• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have another question for you guys

I remember reading someone it was not good to drill two holes side by side and was dangerous, lets say drilling an 8 inch hole, and another 8" hole to make it 16"??????? Just using that for an example thats a big hole 16"s. Thank you

the only way it could be dangerous was if you stepped in it and broke your leg. Other than that its perfectly fine. Spearers drill almost a dozen and have no problems

I think about those big holes alot more now than I used to. Earlier this season, I stepped in one of my own 10" holes in the dark up on Upper Red. I didn't break anything but had a hard time extracting my boot from the hole. When leaving those holes, I always take as much slush and snow as it takes to fill them and hope they freeze over during the night. Carrying tree branches to mark them isn't always an option. I'm seriously considering getting an 8" attachment for my power head now. 10" holes are great for fishing but they definitely are a danger to others when left vacant.

It is alot easier to step in a 10" hole. I lost a 8" augar once and replaced it with a 10". Steped in the 10" hole once. Not fun. Also if you have a fish house a 10" makes a so much more ice shavings than an 8". It's unbelievable. A real pain when it starts to pile up on the floor. Went back to a 8". The 10" is sitting in the rafters waiting for a northern or lake trout only trip.

Just to add the thread...I stepped into a 10 incher that was partially drilled into the ice that filled in with loose snow while getting out the Dodge. The hole had been drilled to store the auger in an upright position was by guess.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND