• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Hunting Leftovers

DonBo

Up at the cabin, we hang a deer rib cage or two for the birds. The woodpeckers especially like it, along with chickadees and nuthatches. Can't hang a carcass here at home in the cities, but we use some of the fat from our deer in suiet cages. They really like it. Anyone else do this?

I keep all my leftover deer bones/sinew/suet in a big box in the shed and trot out a piece at a time to put on my tray feeder for the chickadees and nuthatches.

Red squirrels like it, too, and of course we'd have pine marten all over it if we lived outside of town.

I will put out the store bought suet cakes right next to the deer carcass fat and the birds will destroy the deer fat before even thinking of touching the store cakes. I take all I can off the back of the deer when butchering and put it in a bag in the freezer. That way I can deliver the fat all winter. They just love it. I also put the rib cage in a tree. The birds will eventually pick it clean.