• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's your best tip-up, I've got mine-

NoodleSalad

I have to put my vote in for the beaver dam wooden tipups. durable.easy to use. and low maintance

------------------
any fishing is better than no fishing!

Not to change the subject but i have a tip up Tip for you. Put a rubber snubber about 3' above your lure and bait. They work great! It helps absorb shock when the bigger fish do a head shake. I've had great results. A rubber snubber is an elastic tubing with a 20 to 50lb. test strength cord inside of it. you can usually stretch it about 6 to 9" above its normal length before the cord stops it. Have Fun, Bruce Mosher.

------------------
Bruce Mosher,www.icebusterbobbers.com

FYI, the brand name for the Beaver Dam tip-ups is the 'Arctic Fisherman'.

I grew up around there and have used 'em all my life.

Does anyone have any feelings about the 'Wind-Jammer' tip-ups. In a breeze, supposedly they jig your bait.

Has anyone used HT's Polar therm (round, black and telescoping flag)?

I just bought one(oops, I violated policy#5)and I think I will like it because it can fit over a 10" hole, and the flag can go up to 32".

Has anyone used both the polartherm and the Frabill round tip-up? Just wondering if you have comments/preference. I think the Frabill is only 10" wide, so it can't cover a 10" hole.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Nels (edited 01-21-2003).]

Nels: I use the round Frabill 10-inchers, and drill a 10-inch hole (actually measures 9.75 inches). The Frabills rest snugly on top of that hole. Frankly, I'd like a 9-inch or 8-inch hole so the tips rest firmly on top of the hole, but I've not had trouble with rocking or anything, and can pack in a little slush at strategic points to anchor it. If you're using an older 10-inch Strikmaster with the two blades but not the center point, it will walk around too much at the start of drilling, and your holes will be too big for the 10-inch Frabills.

I've used the HT Polar black ones, which soak up the sun on sunny days and keep the holes open, but the Frabills, with their insulation, keep the holes open day or night, cloudy or light, in all weather.

BLACKJACK, I recieved mine from Mack's Lure. Go to www.mackslure.com and look for their trolling snubbers. They have different sizes, colors and glow. They work great on your line for tip up fishing. If you can't find them let me know. Have fun, Bruce Mosher

------------------

AAARRRRRRGGGGG!

So many tip-ups, so little time. I now have three tips that cover the hole (two Frabills and the HT), and three that don't (two Polars and a Frabill compact).

But you know, my three hole-covering tips are spooled with heavy line for pike, and when I want to finish out the evening with walleye, I have to tie on a lighter leader and change out the quick-strike rigs for small trebles.

I could rig the other tips with lighter line for 'eyes, but when it 's cold out, nothing insulates the holes like the other tips.

So I guess I'll have to get rid of the three other ones and buy three more Frabills, for a total of six. That will allow me to have my three pike tips and to switch gears to walleye without re-rigging, and all on tip-ups that don't allow the holes to freeze over.

Guess I'll do that when I win the Lotto, what with the $19 to $22 each for those Frabills, eh? grin.gif Not to mention those darn Frabills take up so much space compared with the Polars. Oh well.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-23-2003).]

STFCATFISH, If you've ever seen inside of a truck or tractor cab, there is black insulated spongy foam on the sides of the cab that look like a million pinholes in it. Buy a piece and cut out a round circle at about 15" dia. Then cut a slit to the center. Slide your tip up shaft to the center and place the whole works on top of your ice hole and it will keep your hole from freezing. It really works great. Have fun, Bruce Mosher

------------------

A foam excercise mat or closed cell sleeping pad mat works great for this purpose. You can cut it what ever shape you wish with a scissor or razor knife. I guess I'm old school, but I've used the same Artic fisherman tip-ups for over 30 years.