• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Check your Houses

danny berg

I just bought the house this summer, and I sure would have hated to lose it the first year out. Not to mention recovery costs and DNR Fines. ( I was told that there are fines for houses falling through, but not sure)

Southern lakes around Faribault area already have many, many houses under.
I just "saved" mine and helped a "neighbor" but many are in up to the roof or completely gone through.
Beware if thin ice or holes left from sunken ones !!!

WOW!!! I will stick to my portable, how the heck are they gonna get them out??? Looks like a lot more than 10 houses. Too bad, really though, I hope everyone gets thier stuff back.

morriscode

There has been 31 houses go through on Laq a puddle and on lake Oliver there has been 4 over 32 feet of water not fun alot of open water.

BECAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

just out on bald eagle. check all your houses anywhere in the metro. houses were up to their roofs. atleast half of the houses out there were half in the water. someone was actually fishing in one of the permanents also. you could cast for muskies with your muskie rod in these holes under the houses. really cold n slick though. the ice was cracking underneath me in 10" of ice. when i drilled a hole it came up as crystal chunks. is it march already?

Wow!!!!!!!!!!
I have never seen anything like that before [YouNeedAuthorization]! How thick was the ice? I'm up in Ely and the ice is 18-22 in thick, I was jsut out tonight in fact (one 18 in 'eye) and drove out to my spot. What has the DNR said about this? Are there just going to be a lot of fish cribs out there next summer?

The ice here in wcmn is still 12", problem is 30-40 foot spots of open water where houses were. Can see the open water now but after couple cold days it will ice over. Checking ice they will see 12" and head across and if they are unfamiliar with the lake they will have a bad day when they hit those spots in a truck or atv.

NO TRAVEL UNLESS YOU KNOW THE LAKE this is not the time to go try a new lake get some good sound ice conditions before heading out. I am on the lake but I know where I am going know the weak spots. You may not!!!

Some of you metro people should go and check your permanents. The weather and the wind had opened my holes and created a 5 foot hole below my house, Another hour and I would have lost my house to the water.. My house is on Waconia, and houses are falling in!!!!!!!!

Danny

[This message has been edited by danny berg (edited 01-09-2003).]

The ice situation is really crazy. Here we are sitting out on mille lacs in our 8x16 with the pickup and suv parked 10ft away and see on channel 11 there is houses going under! kinda makes you think when you hear those cracks. the holes we had on mille had frozen over and shrunk since a fewdays ago, so its definatley a different situation up there.

I'm the last guy to take chances, and I'm not doubting anyone here if they say they are seeing houses sink, but I've seen those picture before. As a matter of fact I think they were posted on this very board last year. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry, but those pics are awful familiar.

Does anyone else remember them?

d

These have to be new pictures. I saw on the news last night when they flew a helicopter over a lake and it looked like EVERY fishhouse was under water, or completely sunk. It's bad down south of the cities.

Minnewaska has some open water, again, along with Lake Carlos near Alexandria (according to the DNR this morning). Be careful!!

[This message has been edited by CD (edited 01-10-2003).]

I stand corrected. I saw the front page of the willmar paper and there they were. Sorry to have doubted the pics.

Once again proves this is the most effective source for fishing information in the state, possibly the country! Good work guys.

d

Yup, it got ugly down around here. Didn't matter what color or size house you had. Most important was if the holes were open when the warm temps and winds came. Once the water started down the holes and the strong winds it did the "toilet bowl" affect! There were a few people around here who happen to be on the lakes and familiar with the ice conditions and made decisions to start pulling houses off that were in danger, didn't matter if they knew the owners or not! I noticed on other threads that people on other lakes did the same. To those people a big thanks!! Be safe out there!

Lake Marion had 12 inches of ice where these houses melted through. I went there myself on lunch break to see it. The DNR had the lake closed for fishing. There were also quite a few houses that "melted through" on Lake Washington just north of Hutch.

------------------
Love them 'Pout!