• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pheasant Hunting in Webster Area

I'm leaving Thursday morning for 4 days of hunting in the Webster area. How are the bird numbers compared to last year? It seems like they are up by looking at the information on the SD Game Fish and Parks HSOforum.

Also, we typically bring some fishing gear along in case they fish are biting off shore at Waubay. Any shore fishing reports in the Webster/Waubay area?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hope your not hunting public. I goose hunted this weekend and road hunted home both times. Every public field was being hammered and every road had vehicles on it. My buddy said the same as he road hunted one evening. Mostly NR's looking for places to hunt. Numbers are decent but nothing outstanding. Way to much corn still in fields for hunting to be real good. If you are on private you may do decent. I don't think public will be real great because each field has probably been hit double digit times already. But, you never know.

Fish are biting in a couple lakes pretty well, by boat.

Verg hit it right on the nail.

We were out there in Webster this past weekend for the opener, hunted walk ins and WPA's.

The birds were flushing at the sound of the tires hitting the side of the road even.

Every where we looked there were people either in the field or on the roads.

We ranged from Clark over to Groton, up to just south of Sissiton and across to Waubay.

Put 600 miles on in three days over there!!

Ended up with three birds per hunter with 4 hunters for three days.

Two ofd the guys were waterfowling from mid week till Saturday morning, they limited out by Saturday but could have been done by Friday morning if they had not slept in that day.

Going back out on the 8th of November, maybe some crops will be down and we can get them out of the cattails.

Benny

Like I mentioned many times on this site, I think many Nr's want to come here (webster-Day co.) because we have a decent amount of public land. But, I just read in the paper that Brood counts for Day co. were only 38,000 as compared to neighboring counties that had 200+ thousand birds. Maybe not as much public though? I know if i were to come to SD for pheasants, i think i'd go to another area of the state with higher counts? Although, I was scouting geese last night/road hunting. Shot my 3 birds and saw few geese and tons of pheasant hunters.

My Uncles all go to Aberdean area, they said I was nuts to hunt around Webster.

But we like the Webster area for the waterfowl,this is only my second year hunting Pheasants there.

Used to hunt the Sissiton area but moved to Webster when the Indians changed thier regulations on Waterfowl to match ND.

The state of South Dakota realy pushes the public lands in the Day county area so every NR can see how much walk in and WPA's there are in the county.

Benny