• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do I do it myself?

Down to Earth

Our house we just bought this summer was pretty much had a back yard of tall weeds. I'm keeping them mowed so it looks somewhat decent, but would like to make it more of a lawn. How do I transform it into a nice grass lawn. Also, it is quite bumpy and I'd like to smooth it out. I own a Cub Cadet LT1050 and am wondering what I need to get that I can use on my own tractor and what if anything would I need to rent? Not necessarily looking for a quick fix, but something I can work on over time at an affordable cost.

Thanks.

Andy

Kill of whatever is growing

rototill the area.

pick up any stones and other debris

get a soil test

rototill the area.

add the recommended soil amendments dependant upon your test results

rototill the area.

rake the area level

add a pre-emergent fertilizer designed for new seedings

rake again

spread your seed (recommended is 100% kentucky blue grass

mulch the newly seeded area (use marsh grass if available as is coveres well and contains few weed seeds.

water daily until a few weeks beyond the seed sprouting beging to mow the area when the sprouts are 3" tall.

Quote:

Kill of whatever is growing

rototill the area.

get a soil test

rototill the area.

add the recommended soil amendments dependant upon your test results

rototill the area.

rake the area level

add a pre-emergent fertilizer designed for new seedings

rake again

spread your seed (recommended is 100% kentucky blue grass

mulch the newly seeded area (use marsh grass if available as is coveres well and contains few weed seeds.

water daily until a few weeks beyond the seed sprouting beging to mow the area when the sprouts are 3" tall.

That's pretty much it, except there's not alot of pre-emergent that's okay for new seeding. I actually don't know of any. All that I know say not to seed for 6-8 weeks after application.

You'll have to just seed, then work the with whatever weeds pop up.

Also, you could use peet moss to cover the new seed.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. My back area probaby is about .5 acres, which would be a bit much for a walk behind tiller & hand raking. Are there any options I can hook onto my cub cadet or will I need to go the renting option? Or just go with the walk behind tiller?

Thanks.

Andy

See if your local rental center has a Harley rake attachment for a tractor. It's a roller with knobs on it that will grind and level the surface. You can follow up with a larger seeder to smooth the surface before applying the seed.