• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

carbon monoxide detectors for fish house

rmh2o

I was just at Menards and picked up one of these,they have them for 19.95 with $3 rebate and if you have one of those bags from sundays paper you can get 16% off.These are battery operated.

I can suggest a drink that will make you go every 20 minutes, so you can crack the door and change the air grin.gif

Seriously speaking, a detector is a good investiment and it will save your life. Recent news will confirm this.

The problem with carbon monoxide is it builds up in your system so even if you kick the door open once in a while it still can be leathal over time.Besides that ya cant open the door if your dead.

You guys are panicking!
We've been sleeping in our 10X20 fishhouse for years, but we knew that cross-ventilation was imperative, so windows were installed at both ends of the fishhouse. Windows are always kept "cracked open", so as not to build up carbon monoxide or worse...a (gas leak) fire or explosion.
In my portable, I have vents. Get them sewn in if you don't have them or buy a new portable (the new ones all have them...I think). I had a close call in my portable, but that's why I have believe in venting. It's never too cold to vent, if you dress right for the occasion...
C.O. detectors will only work, when the battery does (in a fishhouse) and last year, Nighthawk (the biggest C.O. detector manufacturer) recalled thousands of units (don't know the model #) because they didn't even work!
JUST VENT!!!!

I have 2 computer electric fan mounted near ceiling of house, they draw very little current, very quiet, use 12 volts from battery/generator, and if I stay a long time I connect truck battery to keep it running. It will draw air from inside and they do help a lot. Cost approx $ 4.5 each, or find any old computer, remove fan from power supply, and there you have it. I can run 1 or both, depending on situation.
One is mounte on a wall, other is on opposite side, so I'll never have blow back from wind.

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 12-20-2002).]

I would not call it "panic" if someone wants to spend $15 on a CO detector to be safe in their fish house. We can all debate about cracking windows and venting and how well each of those works, but why not vent or crack a window AND have a CO detector, seems like a no brainer to me and a wise use of $15.