• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lucky dumby

fivebucks

That's me. I drained my lower unit oil last night getting the boat ready for winter and only about 1/2 cup of burnt smelling oil came out and no water so it didn't leak out I don't think. I think when I drained it last year I forgot to put oil in like I usually do. I did not have any metal shavings in the magnet so I think I got verrrrry lucky. It now has fresh oil in and I'll probably forget that I did that and put more fresh oil in next spring.

Yea, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I had no issues all summer long and even almost an hour of running the motor last Sunday (12, 19 & 20" eyes). The only thing I noticed is that my water pump stream has dwindled a bit so I plan to put a new impeller in next spring. I now think it maybe could be the heat from the gears warmed up my impeller. Hard to say for sure since I haven't changed that for ? years.

Did you notice any sign of water, like gray-white discoloration of the fluid and watery bubbles? Chances are that there was enough lube to not do any harm.

The project boat I bought this summer had similar lack of lower unit fluid. It reminded me of the old commercial where the guy went in for an oil change and nothing came out when the tech unscrewed the plug. I maybe drained out as much as you did. I squeezed in a whole new tube and didn't get any extra out the top hole. Just guessing, a tube doesn't seem like much more than a cup.

The motor is a 1990 75hp mariner so it should have about a quart of oil. There was no sign of water so I am pretty sure I just spaced out putting some in. I looked in the manual for the motor and it showed the motor at a slight tilt to get all the old oil out. I drained it while straight down so I think that's why there was 1/2 cup left in it. I feel pretty dumb because my wife is always accusing me of being so anal with my boat and hunting things etc. I guess I'll find out more next year when I run it for a while.