• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Last minute changes can help!

Powerstroke

I know we are down to crunch time. If you're an avid archer you're already ready to go and just passing time. Some are still tweaking and tuning and others haven't even touched their bow all summer.

I am in the middle. After weeks of struggling with consistancy and trying to manipulate my old rest into dodging my vanes I had to give in. I talked with the CFO and I was off to Cabin Fever for a new rest. I tried to pass the sharpshooter test for MBRB (6/7 arrows in a 4" circle at 20yds) and couldn't cut it. The arrows were everywhere, even with blazers. After some reading and talking with the folks at CF I decided on a new Ripcord rest.

I couldn't have been happier. After shooting 9 arrows I had passed the sharpshooter, stripped half a vanes off the shaft and broken 2 nocks. The first 3 arrows were to dial in the sight and the next 6 (in 2 groups of 3) were so tight they could've been covered by a silver dollar. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. Thanks to Dawn and Neal at Cabin Fever for bringing my bow into the 21st century.

I may add a different sight if I find a deal, something brighter for inside the blind. Changing sights is easy to deal with so that shouldn't change anything. I like to tinker, but it goes to show that if it will improve your consistancy and your ability to make a clean kill its worth working on even this close to opener.

Now I'm off to organize my backpack for the opener.

I just put a whisker biscuit on mine after going through the same problems you were having and couldnt be happier with the result, also it is gonna be a lot nice not getting carpal tunnel from holding the arrow on. The best part being my groups are down to aboot 1in maximum at 20 yards. Powerstroke, where can i find the info on gaining sharpshooter status?

The sharpshooter status only pertains to the MBRB hunts. Its a special designation for participating in special hunts. MBRB has a HSOforum if you're interested. Application deadline is passed for this year, but if its something you'd like to do keep it in mind for next year.

Quote:

it is gonna be a lot nice not getting carpal tunnel from holding the arrow on.

You shouldn't have to hold the arrow on!! They sell 'arrow holders' (I don't know what the name of it is), every bowhunter should have one, if your rest is not the type that holds the arrow. You need to be concentrating on making the shot, not holding onto the arrow!

Quote:

For those who dont know what the MBRB stands for its the

Metro Bowhunters Resource base.

Thanks HL. I forgot to add that. Its a non-profit group that organizes many hunts in the metro. Its worth it to check out their site. There is information there that you can pass on to your local officials if you'd like to see them get involved in your area. I'm trying to get Eden Prairie to work with them since EP spends many thousands of dollars on baiting and sharpshooters to control the deer when there are many willing hunters who would participate in a controlled hunt.

Blackjack, i was referring more to when i am stalking in and out of my stand. most of the time i only get a chance to do half day hunts so i always have an arrow nocked to and from my stand in case one just happens to appear.