• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

black dirt question

inthecattails

I got a quote from a local guy for some black dirt for my yard. They said $13 cu. yd. for just screened/pulverized dirt and $18 cu. yd. for peat/compost mixed with the black dirt. I am guessing I am better off with the mix right? Especially for someone that has sandy yard with not much nutrients.

I guess I answered my own question in which is better. Unless there is some opinions on this.

Would it be a dumb idea to spread seed then apply the black dirt? I had so much seed burn on me in the spring because I wasn't around to water enough.

It would be a poor idea to spread the seed first. You want your seed to only get about 1/2" deep in the soil and no less. This time of year is good for planting seed since its getting cooler and not hotter, but the water issue wioll still be there. Make sure you can keep the ground moist for up to 2 weeks.

I'm sorry I don't have an opinion for the dirt. I would say get the plain dirt. I think of using the mix for things like gardens. It obviously wouldn't hurt to have it, but at an extra $5 a yd I would think twice.

I hate to break up some ones hot deals, but what do thing black dirt is. Peet is a main factor of black dirt. As long as PH is 0, its black dirt. I would figure which ever you order, you are getting the same stuff, from the same pile. Just paying more.

Spreed after, Like Power Stroke said!

I would get the straight dirt as well.

Peet has a tendency to dry out and turn to powder.

You already have sandy soil, so you're not looking to make a "softer" soil..... if anything, you're looking at trying to get ground that will hold moisture better.

If your in the cities, I just got 10 loads of black dirt from a old sod farm they are digging up. I paid $169ea for 15 yard loads and my new sod is growing like gang busters. It has some peat, my dad just put down 12 loads on the neighbors lawn and seeded then put down hay and rolled it.

I know at the city I work for we compost all the leaves, grass clippings and yard waste that residents drop off at our dump site. After they've been ground up and composted it is put back out there for the residents.

I would suspect that you're not really getting a dirt mix as much as you're getting garden compost with dirt in it like ours. I agree with getting the plain dirt.