• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is the best snowmobile trailer and why?

Tinkhamtown

Thinking of getting a Floe or Triton 8 1/2' by 10' or 12' with drive on/off? What are the differences? What makes a trailer the best for all around use? What tire size should I get? How would these trailers hold up? Should I buy used or new and what is the trailer differences in years they were built? I will be using the trailer for snowmobiles, ATVs, and motorcycles.

I am not sure your going to get the same response from everyone and there are sure to be guys on both sides, so I will give you my .02. I have a Floe 8.5' x 10' drive on/drive off with the "clamshell" top. I have had it since 1998 and have yet to have any problem with it. The lights have always worked and everything is still as stong as the day I picked it up. I would do it all over again, but the trend seems to be going to longer sleds, so I would do the 12' trailer. With a 12' trailer you also get the bigger tires. Upgrading to a 3 place d.o/d.o seems to be a nice option as well. 3 guys, a pick-up, 3 sleds seems to be a common group you see on the highway. I love having the cap on my trailer, keeps all the road slush off the sleds and allows a little more space to store the cooler and extra gas tanks.

I have an Eagle brand sled trailer, 8 x 10 tilt aluminum.

Couple opinions of mine on that style of trailer.

1- Unloading sleds sucks without reverse on them. I'm as gung-ho as a teenager but dragging a 500lb sled off the trailer backwards isn't exactly fun at 0 degrees.

2- Loading isn't bad if you can get the trailer to balance on its own. Sometimes it won't so I catch the trailer under my ski tips to hold it down, then run the sled up.

3- Add ski runners and traction mats or some kind of track traction material to aid in loading.

Other than that, I love the trailer. You just have to know some of the drawbacks going into buying a straight up tilt bed trailer.

Another thing to consider is highway travel. How far do you pull your sleds? How often? On salted roads? Etc...

This is wear a cap becomes nice. Salt shield is good but I would take it to the next level as well and that is complete sled protection. I burned out a voltage regulater on one of my sleds. Dealer said it was corrosion, more than likely a result of road salt. I trailer alot. Anyway... not a cheap bill when you fry all 3 halogen headlights, the speedo & tach light, and the taillight along with the voltage regulator. Salt additionally speeds up corrosion on all your metal suspension parts. Food for thought... a cap is good insurance against this and other problems.

If I were to buy another trailer, it would be a 8x10 size or so, V-front, drive on & off, with a cap of some kind. This is obviously for 2 sleds. I've given thought to a slightly longer trailer so I can just toss my Otter Lodge ice house right on the back of it.

You asked about wheel bearings... let me tell you about how well I maintain my stuff. Bought the trailer new in 2002, I've never greased my bearings. I'm more than likely going to do it this fall however for peace of mind.

I'm really interested in Oil Lube Hubs but a couple wise men said why fix what ain't broken. Grease packed bearings have been doing the job for many, many years.

I own a 2002 8x10, aluminum, tilt, sled Bed.

I've had to weld up one corner that broke and replace a couple of the sections of wood decking (or trailer surface).

The screws they use will work themselves thru the decking material and pop thru.

I re-grease my bearings for peace of mind every two years.

I paid $300.00 for this trailer used. I thought it was a great deal. New ones at that time cost about $900.00.

I guess I got what I paid for.

My advise ?? Buy new, and buy a Floe.

D.O / D.O. 12' versa lock system with oil bath bearings.

You can get a great deal if you go to the snowmobile show at the Convention Center in Minneapolis this fall.

They have a Floe Rep. right there and will sell Floe trailers cheaper than any dealer.

Went to haydays and several trailer dealers, plus Internet sights. Been doing a lot of shopping for a snowmobile trailer 12' drive ON/OFF with a ramp/salt shield ALUMA, EAGLE, TRITON, and FLOE.

ALUMA had me for a while seemed like it was will built and price was good The Aluma salesman warned me about storing a Floe trailer with oil bath hubs and moisture above the oil fill line causing the bearing to rust. Is there any truth to this statement? . I have and like easy lube hubs on a 5' X 9' utility trailer with a drop down ramp.

Also concerned about quality of trailers and wonder about the different in trailer weights and carrying capacity with FLOE 688#, TRITON 565#, ALUMA 480# and EAGLE ???.

The trailer prices range from a low of 2322.50 to a high of 3000.00 so I do not want to make a mistake when I make purchase. Thanks for your help.

Tink

Drive on/off definitely a must if its fits your budget. Longer than 8 better in case you ever tow a longtrack. I cant remember the current dimensions but make sure its wide enough for 2 modern sleds. Im sure most are. Trailer cover is icing on the cake. I have a Triton with clamshell. Sleds are always clean when I arrive. No more salt and water to worry about on sleds. You'll get a lot of different responses on oiling the bearings. My Triton has their brand of bearing buddies and since the axles are not emersed in water like a boat trailer mine have lasted many years without rebuild. I do check them and occasionally repack the inner bearing but they sure seem to be capable of going a long time without major maintenance.

My first trailer was a tilt. Yuck. You will eventually hurt your back pulling them off the trailer if you dont have reverse. This will inevitably happen on a major trip...

After pulling off wet saltly covers for years and seeing my nice clean sled start of a major ride all dirty made the trailer cover simply the best thing I ever bought next to drive off trailer. Oh, putting those stiff frozen covers back on the sled.......priceless.

Thanks for your help. I just got a 2003 Sledbed 12' drive on/off with ramp salt/shield. 10" tires,EZ lube hubs,Perm lic,gal plus 2 qt of amzoil,brand new spare,two fast tie downs and two regular tie downs,two padlocks,trailer has full track mats and ski guilds. I will be able to haul two snowmobiles or ATVs plus my yukon portable HSOList.