• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting routine with your companion?

protiller

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on twisted stomach and how you prevent it? I'm also interested in how, when or what types of foods you feed your dog while on a hunting trip. Finally, what are your thoughts on the energy bars and/or energy drinks.

I myself feed my lab her normal dry food three hours prior to us hunting. During the day we stop for water breaks. At the end of the day she gets food/water again.

-tiller

My setter has a very touchy stomach so I have done research on this before.

This what I was told. It is better to feed them at night because dogs take 8 or 10 hours to get energy from their food, so if you feed them in the morning they aren't getting the energy from the food. I used to feed my dog in the morning, but he would throw up in the crate while driving to the hunting area almost everytime we went.

Also while on hunting trips the dogs get one or two cups more of food. I let them drink water throughout the day.

As far as food goes I feed them the chicken Sprout Ultra it has 30% protein and 20% fat so it has a lot of energy.

I dont use energy bars, but I do bring their normal treats with and I give them those when we take our lunch break.