• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What action to take?

inthecattails

I have a brown lawn for the most part that was seeded last fall. I think it will come back but currently has lots of weeds. I will be putting black dirt down in large areas and small areas this fall. My question is should I spread something for the weeds at this point before reseeding and fertilizing? What order or action should I take. I have posted before, I have really sandy soil. Before the yard was seeded when we bought the house black dirt was laid down but not nearly enough. The grass did well in the front yard and the back grew to a point and just stopped. I watered like crazy but eventually gave into mother nature and let it go dormant. Seems to come back with lots of water or rain so I am good there. I want to make sure I set it up this fall for a good spring. Thanks ahead of time!!

If it is brown it most likley come back,if it is black its probably toast.I am no a pro by any means but when part of my yard burnt up last year i used some round up and killed everything waited and reseaded.Came back great.I added no black dirt when i seeded my yard and it has done well this year even with out an irrigation system.It seems like the correct fertilizer plan and weed killer are the key issues.I am lucky my brother in law is a pen state horticulture grad and my wife works for him at a golf coarse,she is able to get some really good products to use.Burl.

Quote:

If it is brown it most likley come back,if it is black its probably toast.I am no a pro by any means but when part of my yard burnt up last year i used some round up and killed everything waited and reseaded.Came back great.I added no black dirt when i seeded my yard and it has done well this year even with out an irrigation system.It seems like the correct fertilizer plan and weed killer are the key issues.I am lucky my brother in law is a pen state horticulture grad and my wife works for him at a golf coarse,
she is able to get some really good products to use
.Burl.

Might want to watch what you post, you never know who's reading. Not that I'm going to turn you in, but I've got a couple of buddies that were turned in somehow that they were using stuff that wasn't labeled for residential yards.

Also in the Dept. of Ag. flyer I got in the mail today, there's a couple of companies that were fined for improper use.

Quote:

I have a brown lawn for the most part that was seeded last fall. I think it will come back but currently has lots of weeds. I will be putting black dirt down in large areas and small areas this fall. My question is should I spread something for the weeds at this point before reseeding and fertilizing? What order or action should I take. I have posted before, I have really sandy soil. Before the yard was seeded when we bought the house black dirt was laid down but not nearly enough. The grass did well in the front yard and the back grew to a point and just stopped. I watered like crazy but eventually gave into mother nature and let it go dormant. Seems to come back with lots of water or rain so I am good there. I want to make sure I set it up this fall for a good spring. Thanks ahead of time!!

It sounds to me like you might want to do a little less fertilizing a little more often. The reason I say this, is because if you're just dumping water to it, but it didn't grow, is that there aren't enough nutrients in the ground to keep it going.

This weekend, if you're going to use a granular weed-n-feed product, will be good, get out there as soon as the rain stops, while the grass is still wet.

Biggest problem is, that you need to make sure it's done raining for 24 hours.

Also, this is only going to take care of the broadleaf weeds. You probably also have crabgrass and quackgrass. About the only thing you can do for that right now is spray some Drive 75, or wait until the frost.

If it were me, I'd spray the broadleaf weeds first, wait a couple of weeks, and spread the dirt / reseed / fertilize.

Then next spring put down a pre-emergent, possibly even do a second application about 8 weeks later, and then reseed the areas that didn't fill in this fall, next fall.

You can't reseed the bare spots right away in the spring, because the pre emergent will stop the seeds from germinating.

Quote:

I am is the same scenario and wordering what to do as well. I just can't believe some of the brown patches will come back..
What is dormant brown and what is dead
?

If it's dead, it's going to be a grayish / white color. If it's tan, then it's just dormant. Also, if you run your hand across it fairly firmly, and the blades just break off, then it's dead.