• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Experimenting with a 5D

So I rented a 5D from a camera shop in Minneapolis for a wedding I am shooting this weekend. First impression - wow. It may seem daunting at first, coming from the Digital Rebel, there are a lot more buttons and options and toys so to say. Anyway, after the rehearsal, I went to the parents place to hang out for a bit and went out back. Here are some of the results. All were shot with the 24-70 F2.8L handheld.

ISO 400 - F8 - 1/60th - 70mm

IMG_0130.jpg

ISO 400 - F8 - 1/80th - 70mm

IMG_0132.jpg

ISO 400 - F8 - 1/800th - 24mm

IMG_0138.jpg

ISO 50 grin.gif - F8 - 1/20th - 27mm

IMG_0148.jpg

(this one is a little hot but I love the way it turned out)

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Tom

Well I have the glass I need for now, but the body is going to take a bit of time to come up with fundage. I was addicted from the first second I picked it up. I will have to rent a 1D III before I make the final decision on which to purchase, but that is probably a couple years down the road though and there will most likely be something else out there.

Good rental, man, and good images.

No need to go into all the relative pros and cons between the 5D and 1Dmk3. As you said, by the time you save up to buy, they'll be different, but the great thing is you can shoot, shoot and shoot the dump out of that rental while you have it, and not just for the wedding.

No sleep for you this weekend, and don't forget about the Perseid meteor shower Sunday night. Also, Mars will be in the constellation Taurus, and many of the metors will go right through Taurus. Tripod, remote shutter release or timer, f8, iso100 and experiment with shutter speeds of up to several minutes. grin.gif

I was thinkin more along the lines of ISO 50. Yeah, I may have to get out to the top of a hill just a bit north of the cities to get some shots. I love the full frame and 24-70 it is a great combo. I got some really sweet shots at the wedding yesterday and man was it a lot of work. Not only did I shoot, but I also did clean-up for the ceremony beings it was at Lake Phalen. Tons of trees came down and I had to clear debris from my photo areas. It went well. Talk to you later.

Tom

Cool, glad the wedding went well for you. And cool for the bride and groom, too. grin.gif

If you seriously want to shoot the meteors, you'll need to drive 100 miles away, preferably west, since that's the least populated direction to go from the T.C. On long exposures, if you're closer in, the faint glow from the T.C. will build up and overpower your stars and meteors.