• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do I want a Pointer or Flusher?

Big Dave2

I would say that there are certainly times here my dog goes on point when I cannot see them, until I figure out that they are on point and start to look for them, ie: a thick grouse covert, tall grass, cattails (not that you can ever get a point there anyway) but I would agree that when I can see her, I always know when she is winding something and is about to go on point...I would assume it would be similar in a flushing dog once you learn how to read your dog. Good luck in your purchase, I love springers.

I know not too many people can actually do this, but it can be done if you've got a friend that has a dog as well. My parents have an English setter (obviously pointer) and I have a lab. Both dogs are exceptionally trained. What my dad and I will do when we're hunting pheasants or grouse is letter the setter run and do her thing and have my lab at heal. When the setter goes on point, and after closing the distance, I let my lab off heal and let him flush. It helps out tremendously and makes things a lot easier for everyone. Then when the setter tires out, she gets a break for the rest of the day and we pick up our pace and hunt over my lab. Plus, after the flush, you've got 2 dogs marking the bird after the shot and makes for a better chance of retrieve. After all, 2 noses are better than one for finding a downed bird. Like I said at the beginning, not everyone can do this, as it's very expensive to have 2 dogs. But, if you have a pointer and someone you know has a flusher, or whatever, it works very well. That's my .02

I really wonder...if you have a pointing dog...why not just flush the bird yourself??? Then the dog who held his/her point for several minutes gets the reward to retrieve the bird. I know my setters would be [PoorWordUsage]ed at me if I let another dog in on THEIR bird smile.gif

The reason why I use this method (I don't use it all the time) is the area that I do most of my grouse hunting in Wisconsin is extremely thick with vines and brush. Going in and flushing the bird myself would cause me to not be able to get my gun up in time to get a shot. The same goes for some of the areas that I pheasant hunt. This way, I still have enough room to swing for a shot and the bird still flushes. Also, it creates competition between the dogs as far as who gets to the bird first, making them want to retrieve even better. I've trained enough dogs and helped train enough dogs to see that having more than one dog out hunting helps the training process. Plus, hunting with a trained dog and one that isn't finished yet helps the dog in training with retrieving. They want to be the one bringing the bird back, so they will want to get there first and will want the reward. The reasoning behind this has many reasons behind it.