• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

flu flu jigs

mrcarp

HI I HAVE BEEN FISHING FOR SUNNIES FOR SOME REASON THE SUNNIES WONT BITE THE FLU FLU. THEY WILL HIT SMALL ICE JIGS ONLY. IS THIS A SIZE PROBLEM OR JUST WHAT THEY WANT ALSO SEEMS LIKE VERTICAL JIGS WORK BETTER. JUST STARTING TO LEARN PANFISHING ANY ADVICE WOULD BE NICE THANKS.

It might be a size problem. It also might be that the fish are feeding on a different forage. Freshwater shrimp or insects aren't imitated very well by flu-flu's. If you have always had success with flu-flu's don't abandon them completely because the fish might start hitting them as soon as they change what food they are eating.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

What do you tip them with? I use a "wonder bug" which is same as a flu-flu and tip it with a waxie. Sunnies for me have never hit minnows. I have heard they love night-crawlers as well, but then again so do the bullheads, so I avoid using crawlers

Question: have never used these Flu Flu jigs, but from what I understand, they are primarily ice fishing jigs. With such a small and light jig, how is it rigged and fished for the crappies and sunnies in open water? I can't imagine it would cast very far...

Of course what do I know, I have never fished with them, and I am thinking I am going to try them, but I am hoping for a little advice here before I try them for myself...

Thanks to any advice you could give..

they do get used for ice fishing, but do very well in the open water seasson too! they are jigs ( 1/100 -1/64 oz.) that are made with either hair or feathers that move in the water , even thou the jig it self isn't moving.they can be tipped with some type of larva, or small plastic, and fished under a float or a cast and retreive.( yes you do get limitted with casting distance) it's always good to have a few in you arsenal! grin.gif

Quote:

Question: have never used these Flu Flu jigs, but from what I understand, they are primarily ice fishing jigs. With such a small and light jig, how is it rigged and fished for the crappies and sunnies in open water? I can't imagine it would cast very far...

Of course what do I know, I have never fished with them, and I am thinking I am going to try them, but I am hoping for a little advice here before I try them for myself...

Thanks to any advice you could give..

When fishing pannies I always use this style,albeit I use hair.

I'll use a weighted casting bobber with 4 test and I can cast up to about 40 yards.If I got a wind on my back up to say 50 yards which is plenty of distance.

I will also say I never use meat and will catch thousands of crappies and gills every year.

The whole reason for going with those small jigs is to have a finese presentation.

Adding meat only makes them bigger and heavier.So you'll loose that slow fall that seems to trigger the bite.

In the winter I'll add a small split shot 14" above to allow the jig to work yet get a faster fall for the 1st 20 feet of water.

Then with a spring bobber mounted to my rod I'll detect the most subtle bite.

Having a flasher also helps to see the bite coming before it happens.

Ditto for my trip yesterday.. went almost the entire day with just the flu flu, not tipped and did extremely well. In the mid-day when the bite slowed a little, i tipped it with 1/3 of a berkley "crappie corn" and that seemed to help.

Deep water in the fall I use the slip knot as my guide. setting it a few feet above the fish. I can cast it and use the slip knot as a guide to see I am out and above the fish. Once the knot hits water surface I pump the rod tip and line so the knot comes up never allowing it to sink much if any below the surface.... if the knot doesn't sink chances are pretty good a fish has the jig. lift and reel.

You can yo yo them at the side of the boat as well.

There are days when they won't hit it unless its falling and then there are those days they don't want it to move.

My son fishes the cone angle and watches the fish as though he were ice fishing. If Im in his boat, I have to do somthing as I stated above. If I am forced to use a slip float, I can still take the same approach some time the float will sit side ways. others it just dives quick if a fish agressivly takes it.

Flu flu, little nippers, home made jigs. Heavy dropping or slow dropping and color.... if you found em, play with with em until you get results. It's not always easy to find what works but it is still fun once you get results. Be diverse in thinking.